Menu button

Club E-mails 2009/10

Moderator: Web Monkeys

Club E-mails 2009/10

Postby mattH » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:30 pm

Well hello there!

Here is the moment I know you've been waiting for, the obligatory FIRST EVER club e-mail from the new Captain...me! So, turn the lights down low, draw those curtains, have a nice cup of tea in hand (maybe a cheeky biscuit perhaps) and settle down for some pure unadultarated magic!

As I'm sure you all know now, the committee for LUUCC has now changed, and I wouldn't be much of a gent without thanking the previous committee for all their hard work over the past year - I'm sure we can all agree its been a good 'un. In particular, thanks to Andy J, who has been a subperb Captain these past 12 months - and was rewarded as such with a nice new hip flask (so he can covertly sneak booze into tigertiger in future, as opposed to having two cans of beer in his pants).

The AGM was a great night all round (...from what I remember), and thanks go to Niamh and Martin for organising such a good curry-fuelled knees-up; and indeed all of you brave people (successful or not) who made some terrific speeches - its great to see so many keen people in the club!
Extra special congrats must go to the members of the 09/10 committee, who are as follows:

Captain - Matt Haydock (I realise I'm congratulating myself here, what of it!?)
Secretary - Chris Merriman
Treasurer - Dan Waite
Polo Sec - Adam Webster
Gear Sec - Benedict D
Social Sex - Nicola Underhill and Lucy Stuart
Comp Secs - Andy J and Peter H
Ordinary Member - Patrick Delcassian

Now then, enough waffle, down to the nitty gritty of what's going on in your LUUCC world this week, and a bit more on the big events coming up:

MONDAY
Matt H's first pool session! Get some time in a boat with one of the club's coaches and perfect that roll, work on those support strokes, or just scope out the hunks and babes of the club.
Holt Park Leisure Centre - catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line) from anywhere along the Otley Road. Session is 9pm-10:30pm, followed by a swift shandy in the Skyrack in Headingley.

TUESDAY
Committee Handover meeting!
This is for not just for all the members of both the old AND new committees, but for EVERYBODY!!! It's your club and as always we'll be discussing issues that will inevitably affect YOU - so get down there and tell me to sort my life out for suggesting, for example, a naked calendar.
7:00pm - ARC meeting room 5 - upstairs in the Union

WEDNESDAY
The first of many exciting new socials from Nic and Lucy!:

Nic and Lucy wrote:The plan for next week (Wednesday 18th) is to keep it nice and calm (my stomach can't handle another night like the last few!)
So we're going to meet at the Terrace at 8.30pm, then head to Dry Dock abit later, and then finally to Fab Cafe for...
<Fab's newest night, dispensing Psychadelia, funk, soul, bossa nova and kitsch lounge music for Leeds' coolest cats! Groovy, Stimulating and fun! Free Entry. Bottles From £1.50 Double vodka or whisky and mixer/energy drink £2.50>

Sounds good to me, AND we've got a cordoned off area just for our handbags, 'cause I know you'll all be on the floor dancing!!

See you there guys, Love you all forever!!

Nic and Lucy x

Also on Wednesday, the sign-up sheet for the Sunday club trip goes on the club notice-board (upstairs in the Union) at 12pm. Read more below…

THURSDAY
We had an awesome first polo session under the new Irish Sec last Thursday, with PPOTW going to Lucy Stuart for getting properly stuck in to her first ever session. Expect more of the same this week under the watchful eyes of Patrick Delcassian - Adam unfortunately has to fly back to the Emerald Isle!
Adam is also setting up some additional training sessions (not involving trainspotting despite popular belief) on improving tactics, ball control etc. at Roundhay Lake, just 20 mins away from Leeds. View these topics here on the forum to find out the whats, whens, wheres - I'd say whys but that's abit cruel ;-)
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2703
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2707

Also in the world of Polo, The CHRISTIE CUP (competition between Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool Unis) is coming up very soon - exact date TBC. Keep an eye on the forum for the latest info, but until then get down to the Thursday sessions and brush up your skills so we can give the mancs and scoucers a good thrashing!

SUNDAY
We had a great first club trip to the Wharfe last week for some intermediate paddling - despite getting the minibus stuck in a field!
This week there will be a BEGINNERS trip, which is provisionally planned for the River Lune. This trip will be open to people of all abilities - and don't forget there are only a handful of club trips left, because they stop after Easter - so get on it! If you're a budding river leader as well, get your name down for some more "group experience" (that sounds a bit dirty…)

--------------------------------------------------

But Matt, what else is coming up?

Only the biggest and best freestyle student kayaking event this side of Saturn - why it's the NATIONAL STUDENT RODEO 2009 of course! It really is getting quite close now, and I'm already starting to get a bit too excited. If you're still unsure on anything about the rodeo, come and have a chat to anyone who went last year and we will put your mind at ease!

6th-8th March 2009 - National Watersports Centre, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham

The NSR is organised and run by YOU (under the watchful eyes of Mission Control) - the LUUCC crew; and there are tonnes of jobs that need doing throughout the weekend from making tea, to bar work, to first aid duty, to scoring. Keep an eye on the forum of how you can get involved. There will be more details about this coming soon from Mission Control (Paul and Luke).
Meanwhile don't forget the theme of this year's rodeo is SPACE, so get thinking on those costumes - the party is after all the most important bit!

And don't forget, now that you've signed up, you need to actually PAY for the event before Wednesday of this week. Pay upstairs in the Union at the ARC reception (just tell staff you are paying for NSR).

More info and How much do I owe?: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2616
Much more info: http://www.nationalstudentrodeo.org.uk
Photos from last year: http://www.pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/both/nsr2008/

That is all for now - Stay Classy,

Matt x
Last edited by mattH on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember to drive like Welsh Cheese - CAERPHILLY!
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Now then!

As I’m sure most of you are aware the venue for NSR 2009 (Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham) has been undergoing redevelopment and it was expected to be completed in time for the original date of the rodeo (6th-8th March). However, due to the snow and adverse weather recently LUUCC have now been informed that the course will not be ready on time.

## Therefore, the National Student Rodeo 2009 has been rescheduled for 27th – 29th March 2009.##

This is the same weekend as Paddlefest09 (http://paddlefest.squarespace.com/) which is an exciting exhibition event which will be attended by all the major manufacturers and importers of paddling kit in the country, as well as several retail outlets.

Despite the fact this is in the Easter break, the club is still confident that the vast majority of those registered (well over 800, the most ever!) will be able to make it.

And this especially includes you! The LEEDS TEAM!!
Despite the fact the date has changed, the rodeo will without doubt still be THE biggest event and party of the year - and so it is STILL unmissable. Remember, LUUCC (yep...you!) are the organisers of the event, and the club still needs your help in ensuring its smooth running with things like safety provision, tea making, scoring, judging, first aid, bar work etc. etc. We also still need your help to show all the other uni's in the UK exactly how we roll in the party tent! So whatever plans you've already made for this weekend, its pretty simple really - you need to change them!

As its Easter, we understand people will be coming from different ends of the country - but the provisional plan is for everyone to still leave Leeds together on a party bus! And, if you can spare an extra day or two, there's nothing to stop you heading to Nottingham early to lend a hand (watch this space...!) Paul and Luke are looking into the provision of pickups from Nottingham train station, and you may have noticed on the forum, a lift sharing topic has been started for non-Leeds people.

"I absolutely 110% definitely can't go then":
Expect abuse - Your reason better be good! Bear in mind Luke Skywalker left important Jedi training in The Empire Strikes Back because he had to be somewhere else - so you most certainly have to follow suit. You need to e-mail thecaptain@luucc.co.uk so you can be taken off the entrant list together with an attached signed letter from your parent or guardian. If you've already paid, refunds can be obtained - just ask the rodeo treasurer, Peter H, or a member of the committee.

"So when do I need to pay by now?"
The date you now need to pay by is Tuesday 10th March. You can do this at the ARC reception, upstairs in the Union. To find out how much you owe, visit this forum page: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2616&start=0

"Is that it?"
Don't forget your costume - the theme is space so get thinking - time is running out - it'll be 27th March before you can say "C3P0 Human cyborg relations!"

If you've still got some burning questions have a look at the website http://www.nationalstudentrodeo.org.uk, or speak to anyone who's been to the rodeo before, and they'll try and put your mind at rest.

It only now leaves me to thank Paul and Luke who have been working tirelessly so far, and I'm sure we can all agree changing the date of an event that 800+ people are coming to must've been a "headache" to say the least (..but clearly nothing they can't handle ;-)) Cheers guys!

Red 5 standing by,
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Buenos dias/tardes/noches (whatever floats your candle, or lights your boat!),

Here's the ever-thrilling and enticing weekly e-mail from LUUCC! Forgive the potential lateness of this e-mail, but it appears the new social sex have taken Niamh and Martin's advice on time management and organisation abit too seriously, and are having a bit of a faff. Have no fear though - the whip has been cracked!

So here's a sneak peak at what's happening this week and beyond...!

MONDAY
LUUCC Pool Session at Holt Park Leisure Centre - 9:00pm until 10:30pm followed by a swift half in the Skyrack afterwards. It's great to see the pool sessions still popular even at this time of year, and even better to still see new members coming down. There's still plenty of time in a boat for all - so get those strokes perfected and roll polished! Catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line) from anywhere along the Otley Road or nab a lift.

WEDNESDAY
Find out the latest gossip in the club and catch up with all the ins and outs at the weekly social.
This week Nic and Lucy have planned us a bit of a rocky night down at Cockpit near the train station. Skinny Jeans, tight t-shirts and straightened hair appear to be the norm down at cockpit - so get your skinny indie look on. (Yes! No preparation for me!)
Meet at the Terrace as usual at 8pm.

Sign up for this weeks Sunday trip (more below) also goes up on the club noticeboard, upstairs in the Union at 12pm.

THURSDAY
The Boater from Belfast is back for another dose of Polo action! Head down this week to get a bit damp with some balls. Polo is going from strength to strength - attracting new members and improving everyone's skills from the novice to the expert. Make sure you're a part of it!
Meet 8:45pm at the Chapel. Session 9:30pm-10:30pm.

SUNDAY
Last week we had an awesome beginner trip to the River Lune, with over 20 people paddling - and although a bit on the scrapy side, provided much fun and frolicks for all.
This week, we will be having an intermediate/advanced trip which is provisionally intended to be a bit of a river-bagging expedition (...well 2, so more of a large wallet than a bag really). The plan is to head to the South Lakes to run the Lower Kent and hopefully the Leven for some Grade 3/4 (British version of course) action. Although, bear in mind the weather and I change our minds like a girl changes clothes, being hot and cold etc.
As we are going to the Lakes we are aiming for a 7:30am meet at the Chapel for a swift departure for 8:00am (with a breakfast stop en-route).

-------------------------------------------------

More on the big events:

JOINT OUTDOORS SOCIAL!! Wednesday 4th March 2009, HiFi Club, 8pm
Our very own Kate Kipling (Outdoor Activities Rep for the Union) has lined up a corking social for all the outdoors clubs and societies at Leeds. Kate says we have got the room exclusively for the whole group in the evening, with entry to the actual club night (Move-on-Up Motown) later included in your ticket price.

In attendance are likely to be (amongst others):
Canoe [Eat it fresher! Ha, we have the most people!]
Climbing [Oh, but I'd rather go to the indoor wall for the 19th time this month]
Hiking [Do they serve t'ale at Th'ifi? Stuff 'em if not laike!]
Sailing [What ho! Rudder a mid-ships Rupert!]
Scout and Guides [Andy's type of ladies]
Caving [Ooh, too much light! I've got jagermeister in my beard]

## BUT this is the important bit - tickets are only on sale UNTIL WEDNESDAY THIS WEEK (25th), from the ARC reception, upstairs in the Union. The price is just £3.50. This will be the planned social for that week and so you need to get on it!! ##

Full details will be announced soon from Nic and Lucy!

CHRISTIE CUP POLO
Wednesday 11th March 2009 at University of Liverpool indoor pool, leaving Leeds at 12:30pm - matches taking place 3pm-5pm.
The Christie Cup is an inter-university competition between Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester. Various sports make up the competition, Canoe Polo being one of them. Liverpool Uni have also arranged a talk by Doug Ammons (famous paddler of the Grand Canyon of the Stikine amongst other things) for the evening as a separate event which we are also invited to.
For more information and to register your interest visit http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2732

NATIONAL STUDENT RODEO 2009
For those of you who have been under a rock on Mars with your fingers in your ears, the date of NSR 09 has now changed to 27th-29th March. BUT Despite the fact the date has changed, the rodeo will without doubt still be THE biggest event and party of the year - and so it is STILL unmissable.

If you definitely cannot go to the Rodeo because of other (very very very important commitments), you need to (1) sort your life out and (2) e-mail me thecaptain@luucc.co.uk so you can be taken off the entry list. Conversely, if you have now discovered you can now go to the rodeo, you need to (1) treat yourself to a steak or nut roast dinner for making a quality decision and (2) e-mail me thecaptain@luucc.co.uk so you can be added to the entry list.

## Please try and e-mail me as opposed to telling me in person, because I am likely to forget ##

At the time of writing, the following people are registered with Leeds for the rodeo:
Carrick Armer, Sarah Barber, Claire Booth, Tom Britt, Patrick Delcassian, Nina Cameron, Harriot Clifford, Liz Cooper, Lucy Crozier, Sabina Delcassian, Jonathan Dempsey, Anneka Deva, Katy Dowden, Rachel Drew, Adam Dumolo, Charlie Edis, Nick Grady, Harry Greaves, Matt "10 inch" Haydock, Peter H, Dave Hepworth, Portia Hepworth, Jethro House, Steve Hutton, Rob Jackson, Sara James, Andy Keen, Matt Kefford, Alice Klenk, Nadia Lahfa, Tom Laws, Matina Loizou, Hannah Lynn, Laura Mackie, Chris "Noddy" Merriman, Beth Morgan, Imoani Norton, Emily Parker, Martin Rogers, Sacha Rogers, Amy Simcock, Faye Simmons, Gro Norway, Katy Somerville, Niamhcastle Stack, Ben Straughan, Lucy Stuart, Charlotte Stuart-Brown, Dan Sturgess, Emma Trickey, Smelly Gilly Turner, Beth Tynegate, Paul Underwood, Laurent Vales, Little Dan Waite, Helen Walker, Sarah Wallace, Kieran Watt, Adam Webster, Georgie Wills, Amy Yates

If your name is there and shouldn't be, or you would like it to be, please e-mail thecaptain@luucc.co.uk

If you are coming, you also still need to pay for the rodeo by Tuesday 10th March 2009, at the ARC reception, upstairs in the Union.
To find out how much you owe visit http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2616
Or e-mail me thecaptain@luucc.co.uk

For more info on the event visit http://www.nationalstudentrodeo.org.uk

TTFN,
Matt
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Hey Chums!

Happy Marchmas! As the first and second year undergraduates put their feet up to watch Deal or No Deal or Skins boxset (well those of us who are “sports scholars” anyway), the third years are busy scribbling down a little thing called a dissertation in between replacing the matchsticks that are holding their eyes open. But don’t get stressed, LUUCC is here to take your blues away – so get out paddling, poloing, training or just drinking with the club this week – there’s lots of stuff going on!

MONDAY
The classic Holt Park pool session(9pm-10:30pm). I can’t really think of anyone who’s paddling hasn’t come on leaps and bounds in the past few months – and the swimming pool is the perfect place to progress – whether it be perfecting that roll, hand roll, vital flatwater and river strokes or sweet-ass playboating moves. There are only 3 pool sessions left (because they stop after Easter), so make the most of rolling in warm water! Catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line) from Uni onwards along the Otley Road or sweet talk a car driver!

WEDNESDAY
JOINT OUTDOORS SOCIAL! It’s time for the small matter of drinking a few climbers and hikers under the table and taking over a nightclub on a Wednesday night – something which LUUCC is well-practiced in. It’s set to be an awesome night and a great chance to meet lots of new people and show them why the canoe club is the best outdoor society to be in at Leeds!
The night includes private entry into HiFi at 8pm, followed by Free entry into the club night (Move-on-up Motown). We’re going to be meeting up at 7pm in the Terrace so we can all preferably invade together with a few jars inside us – or you can meet us down there.
Tickets are still available from the ARC reception, upstairs in the Union, for the bargainous price of £3.50 – and remember your attendance will be supporting not just the outdoors rep Kate Kipling who is a member of the club, but also The Paul Morton Trust Fund. In November last year, Paul sadly passed away after suffering for many months with a brain tumour – he was a vibrant member of the canoe club for the entirety of his first year, a promising young paddler and also a very good friend to many members. All profits from this social will go to Paul’s family who would like to spend it on the things he enjoyed – so your £3.50 will be more than well spent.
See you down there!

Also, the sign up sheet for this week’s club trip will go up on the notice-board, upstairs in the Union. (Read more below)

THURSDAY
Thursday is canoe polo night, brought to you by the Irishman himself – Adam Webster. Don’t forgot it’s not too late to try this (sort of) sport for the first time – there are still polo virgins coming down every week and all are guaranteed a good wet time. And don’t forget you seasoned polo players need to head down to step up your game so we can give the mancs and scoucers a right royal shafting at the Christie Cup!

SUNDAY
We had a fantastic chilled out club trip to the South Lakes yesterday – and this week will be one of the last if not THE LAST BEGINNER CLUB TRIP of this year – because all official Sunday trips stop after we break up for Easter. So I urge all beginners to get down for an exciting time on the river – we’ll have plenty of river leaders down for some top quality coaching of vital river skills and ensuring above all you have a wicked day out. Where precisely we go is yet to be decided, but needless to say the venue will be suitable for all. Get on it!
Meet at 9am at the Chapel. The sign up sheet will go up on the club notice-board (upstairs in the Union) at midday on Wednesday and will come down on Friday at 4pm.

MORE TO COME...

NATIONAL STUDENT RODEO – 27th-29th March 2009, National Watersports Centre, Nottingham
All the dropouts appear to have made themselves known now with their excuses in hand (some poor, some even poorer than that!) after the dates have been changed. But for the vast majority of you, it’s time to start getting genuinely excited about NSR 09. To date, Leeds have still got 58 people coming to join the grand total of approximately 650 competitors and estimated 800+ people coming down to the rodeo – now that’s what I call one hell of a party!
So what’s left to do – well...lots! Don’t forget you still need to pay for the rodeo, at the ARC reception before Tuesday 10th March (e-mail thecaptain@luucc.co.uk if you’re not sure how much you owe). You also need to start thinking about costumes – remember the theme is “SPACE” (the planet and stars kind, not the car park kind). Also, expect lots of people to be badgering you over the next couple of weeks about the tonnes of jobs that need help with at the rodeo – which range from first aid to event safety to bar staff to tea making. Have no fear though – all the jobs are a great laugh because you’ll be doing them with all your mates from Leeds – it’s all part and parcel of what makes this fantastic weekend.
More info at http://www.nationalstudentrodeo.org.uk

Have a great week, and hopefully see you soon!
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Watcha!

Just a quick e-mail to remind the rest of the studley muffins who are going to the biggest student freestyle kayaking event in the galaxy that you need to pay up by TUESDAY 10TH MARCH, at the Arc reception - upstairs in the Union.

A list of how much wonga, kerblingy, cashola (erm...money) you need to part with appears below. (N.B. this is the amount of money you owe as calculated by the online entrant list - if it doesn't sound quite right and you're not sure why then get in touch):

Also, if you are definitely sure or fairly confident you will NOT be travelling to/from Leeds to/from the rodeo, please send an e-mail to thecaptain@luucc.co.uk or post a reply on the "Rodeo transport" topic on the forum - here Generic oldies on the list below who will be making their own way anyway, you do not need to reply.

THE LIST:
Carrick Armer - C+P+H - £47
Sarah Barber - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Claire Booth - C+P - £29
James Bowkett - C+P+H - £47
Tom Britt - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Patrick Chilton - C+P+K1M - £32
Elizabeth Cooper - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Sabina Delcassian - C+P+K1W+divorce boat+H - £50
Jonathan Dempsey - C+P+T+H - £56
Anneka Deva - C+P+K1W - £32
Katy Dowden - C+P+K1W - £32
Rachel Drew - C+P+H - £47
Adam Dumolo - C+P+H - £47
Graham Dunn - P - £25
Charlie Edis - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Nick Grady - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Harry Greaves - C+P+K1M - £32
Matt Haydock - C+P+K1M+T+H - £59
Peter H - C+P+H - £47
Shuan "Shifty" Hazel - C+P+H - £47
David Hepworth - C+P+H - £47
Portia Hepworth - C+P+H - £47
Jethro House - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Steve Hutton - C+P+K1M - £32
Rob Jackson - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Sara James - C+P+H - £47
Andy Keen - C+P - £29
Matt Kefford - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Alice Klenk - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Tom Laws - C+P - £29
Martin Linford - P - £25
Matina Loizou - C+P+H - £47
Laura Mackie - C+P+H - £47
Chris Merriman - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Beth Morgan - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Nina Nigeria-Gambia-Cameroon - C+P - £29
Naomi Norton - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Emily Parker - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Martin Rogers - C+P+K1M - £32
Sacha Rogers - C+P - £29
James Silcock - P+H - £43
Amy Simcock - C+P+K1W+divorce boat+H - £50
Gro Slotsvik - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Katy Sommerville - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Niamh Stack - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Ben Straughan - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Charlotte Stuart-Brown - C+P - £29
Dan Sturgess - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Emma Trickey - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Gilly Turner - C+P - £29
Paul Underwood - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Laurent Vales - P+H - £43
Mark "Dam-X" Wadsworth - P - £25
Dan Waite - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Helen Walker - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Sarah Wallace - C+P+K1W+H - £50
Kiren Watt - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Adam Webster - C+P+K1M+H - £50
Georgie Wills - C+P - £29

So that's Tuesday 10th March please for the moulah!

Take it easy,
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:27 pm

How are you fettling? It's the LUUCC weekly e-mail here to bring a nice sweet addition to your cup of tea - Mmmmm tastes so good in my mouth!

It'’s amazing how quickly term is going and equally so; how few club sessions and river trips there are left now until Easter. So my tip top advice is to get out as much as you can with the club this week and next, and make the most of the great paddling, great drinking, great friends and great times! Here's what's coming up this week:

MONDAY
Penultimate Holt Park Pool Session (9pm-10:30pm)! There's stacks (or indeed Burnes) of time in a boat for all at the weekly pool sessions at the moment - and after the near blizzard conditions of Sunday, I for one am ready to hop in a boat with warm water around me. Rolling clinics, throwline learning centre and river strokes workshops are just some of the things on offer! Get down there!
Catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line) from anywhere along the Otley Road out of town or hop in a car. Session is £1.50

WEDNESDAY
Christie Cup Polo 2009, Queens Docks, Liverpool
For all the latest info on who is going and what is happening, visit this forum topic:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27411#27411
If you want to come along and spectate - please speak to the PoloSec - Irish Adam - and he will try his best to accommodate you.

Social time!
It's time for a credit crunching social this week, as we head down to Walkabout for some £1 per shot action (...brace yaself Sheila!) Meet in the Terrace in the Union at 8:30pm.

The sign-up sheet for the last official river trip of the term will also go up on the club noticeboard, upstairs in the Union, at 12pm (read more below).

THURSDAY
With hopefully a Christie Cup victory in hand, Adam will return to deliver another bout of polo action. The standard of everyones play is really improving week by week and the addition of the new training sessions mean more and more people are beginning to get involved in the pastime/hobby than ever before. Get down to...erm...yeah...get wet and balls and other cliché comments and stuff.
Meet at 8:45pm at the Chapel - session is £2.50

SUNDAY
LAST OFFICIAL CLUB TRIP OF THE YEAR!!!
It's just too emotional - but fear not, keep an eye out on the forum http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/index.php to keep your paddling on the boil after this week as we head into the chasm of the Easter holidays.
This week though, we're heading out on an Intermediate/Advanced trip on some simply spiffing British Grade 4. At present the forecast does not look uber-promising rain-wise - but the intention is to gnarl it up a notch (...no not the Upper Swale). The trip is provisionally planned for the Upper Tees, but the weather an I are in then we’re out, up then we're down, wrong then we're right - so anything could happen. The intention is also to allow this trip to cater for your needs and wants (within reason - we can't go to Newcastle, Niamh!), so if you’re up for some safety and rescue training, river leader training, guidance on how to polish your boofing and flaring, playboating tips - let me know and the club shall attempt to cater for it.

RODEO UPDATE!!
National Student Rodeo - 27th-29th March 2009, National Watersports Centre, Nottingham.
It really is just so very nearly close to touch and embrace and do naughty things with! The rodeo is just around the corner, and we shall all now have to start thinking SPACE whenever walking past Wilkinson's, Poundland, Fancy dress shops, or just surfing the net. Get those costumes on the go soon, so we can show the other 650+ people how we roll!

A couple of things you need to do if your coming to NSR 09 -
(1) Pay for it!! Please can everyone have paid up by TUESDAY 10th MARCH at 4pm - at the ARC reception, upstairs in the Union (any cheques made payable to LUU). If your still (despite all the emails) unsure of how much you owe - check the list on this forum thread http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2713

(2) If you do not need any form of transport from Leeds to the Rodeo or return, then please e-mail me thecaptain@luucc.co.uk so the club can sort out transport for the event.

There will also be a rodeo meeting coming up soon, one evening in the Union - more details of which will appear on the forum http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/index.php very soon.

May the force be with you,
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:15 am

Ola and Bonjour!

It's so very nearly Easter (and so very nearly NSR - just 10 days to go...!) so this will be the FINAL week for official club events. So before we all go our separate ways for a nice 4 week break and before those horrid exam thingys take hold - its time to make the most of LUUCC!

MONDAY
7pm - COMMITTEE MEETING
Open to EVERYBODY!!! Get down to this meeting to discuss all the issues that are affecting the club at the moment - have YOUR say in how YOUR club is run.
ARC meeting room 4 - upstairs in the Union

9pm-10:30pm THE FINAL HOLT PARK POOL SESSION of THE YEAR!!
It's time to banter the lifeguards, practice those cartwheels, polish that roll for the last time this year. It's going to be emotional!
Catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line) from anywhere along the Otley Road or sweet-talk a car driver.
Session is £1.50.

WEDNESDAY
It's time for the last social before Easter, and we are capping off this semester in style (well the style of an OAP...!) It's BINGO TIME!!

Nic and Luce wrote:"Hey there guys and gals!
This week we plan to send off the term in style, with a good ole money winning opportunity at Mecca Bingo.
But, before you can win all that money, you have to register online, simply follow the link below and print off your registration number and bring it with you.
http://www.meccabingo.com/php/index.php?package=club_details&action=show_joinpage&club_id=812
Then you'll be given a life membership card, so you can keep going back again and again! It's £5 to play, and that gets you a book of games and a FREE DRINK!!
After that, we're taking inspiration from Sabina's 21st last week and heading on down to Mook, it's a great little bar, free entry, 2 4 1 cocktails all night and student discounts, so remember your student cards!!

This is the last time you're all going to see each other for a month, so get on down to the Terrace at 7
We have to leave at 8 to get there on time
Let's celebrate the end of an awesome term in style!
Nic and Luce"

Registering is REALLY important if you want to make this a cheap night. Also, I'd like to point out I won £40 last time I went, and the national game can be worth £20,000 - so the sky really is the limit.
7pm at the Terrace Bar in the Union.

THURSDAY
It's the final canoe polo session of term - and the last chance for everyone to get some practice in before BUCS in a warm pool! Get down to the last Armley session of the year (...maybe ever!) - again emotions will be running high!
8:45pm at the Chapel. Session is £2.50.

SUNDAY
There are no official club trips anymore this term - but if you want to get out boating, keep a sharp eye on the forum: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/index.php

LADIES YORKSHIRE POLO
Have a look at this topic on the forum for all the details: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2819

UP TO ANYTHING?
Mission Control Paul and Luke are after some glamorous assistants to help put up the humongous marquee in Nottingham for NSR.
If you can help out, visit this topic on the forum: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2815

MORE STUFF!!

THE RILEY AWARDS:
Every year the Union holds a set of awards called the Rileys designed to celebrate and congratulate activity groups who have done amazing things in 08/09.

I for one have thoroughly loved being in LUUCC this year and think that as a reflection on it's members it deserves some sort of formal recognition from the Union. My university experience to date would not be what it is without LUUCC - and I have every confidence the friends I have made will be friends for life. Submit your vote now if you feel the same as I do

Hopefully, everyone reading this has got something out of meeting new people through the club, learning new skills, delving further away from Leeds city and such like. Hence, If you have enjoyed being a part of LUUCC as much as I have then get on nominating the club for "THE ARC AWARD" as it would be a great representation of the great things that come about by being a part of the club.

On a similar note 11. LUU Life Achievement Award - if there is anyone who has been around for many many moons as part of LUUCC who you may feel has helped you get more time in a boat and enjoy this year at Leeds that bit more then get voting in this category too.

More info (including a link to vote) is here: http://www.luuonline.com/getinvolved/rileysnominationform

GET VOTING!!

BUCS POLO 2009
24th-26th April

The annual BUCS (formerly BUSA) Polo competition, is the main event for the sport/pastime/hobby for all the Universities of the UK - and this year LUUCC have a real chance of making it to the big time, with a very strong team all round.
The event takes place at Hatfield Water Park, Doncaster (home of Rt. Hon. Dave Burne), with the campsite pretty much adjacent to the polo pitches. On the Friday there is a grade 3/4 referees course for those interested (I would urge as many people as possible to get involved in this - it is a really useful afternoon) and on the Saturday there is a (what would seem quite big - if you hadn't been to NSR) party - the theme being JUNGLE!

For all the latest info visit:
http://www.bucs.org.uk/page.asp?section=14728&sectionTitle=Polo+Championships
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2820

NATIONAL STUDENT RODEO 2009

Not long to go now before you are taken on a journey through time and space…and Trent.

To find out all the information about transport to and from the rodeo and much more, you NEED to visit this forum topic: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2803
It's important you keep checking this page, as this transport list is likely to change in the run up to the event.

And now, here's my attempt of providing a little guide for your impending blast off to the biggest freestyle kayaking event in the milky way (without sounding too much like a youth worker).

Essential Kit

Tent/a space in one/ability to pull: See the tent topic here if you don't have one or need a tent buddy (for warmth or "otherwise").
Sleeping bag: Even with a beer jacket it can get a bit chilly at night
Roll mat: Nice and cheap from any outdoor shop in town but make a world of difference
Loads of warm/waterproof clothes: The rodeo will be happening whatever the weather, and Holme Pierrepont can seem like the South Col of Everest sometimes. A cosy hat and set of gloves isn't a bad idea either.
Food: Saturday's evening meal is included in your ticket, and Curry will be available at a small price on Friday night. However, unless you want to eat burger van food all weekend, you'll need some grub. Ignore the so-called cool people who say "eating's cheating" - if you don't put fuel in, the engine will stop.
Money: For aformentioned burger van / bar (there is no cash machine on site) I'll also be too pissed to drive the minibus to the supermarket
Booze: Not essential as the bar on site is pretty darn cheap - so you'll get plenty for your quatloos. You may want to bring a little stash for campsite times. Don't try and be naughty and sneak it into the party though, or you might end up getting thrown in the brig with the Ferengis.
Space themed costume: Essential - you WILL be abused without one.
Acceptable form of ID: Treat the party as you would a night out - it will have bouncers, so you WILL need an ID or else it'll be a bit of a lonely weekend. A student/NUS card is NOT good enough. Particularly applicable if you look as young as I do!
Thermals and boating gear For paddling if you have them. Boat, Paddle, BA, Cag, Helmet, Spray Deck, adequate footwear, thermals, layers (no cotton). We will be taking heaps of club kit from Leeds, so fear not if you don't have everything.

Extra bits of kit

Nice to have with you if you can bring them along...

Water bottle Admittedly you can never have too many cups of tea, but a little bit of H2wooah goes a long way when hungover.
Flask/Thermal mug Mmmm hot stuff
Antiseptic soap If your a bit of a wetty
Coke A good sugary drink will keep you feeling tip-top.
Cake I just love cake alright!!
Warm clothes Already said it I know, but a weekend of chillyness would be abit of a shitter
Suncream/moisturiser Sun and wind burn may sound farfetched, but avoiding having a face like Captain Pickard's uniform is always a bonus

How the weekend works

Essentially, NSR is about trying to fit the most fun possible in a weekend - and ideally having so much fun you don't really remember too much.

FRIDAY
- We leave Leeds, drink in hand, and arrive at a stinky ditch in Nottingham in Nottingham early evening
- We set up our awesome Leeds death star of tents and laugh at all the uni's with only a couple of 3-man efforts, whilst having a drink to celebrate putting up our tents
- Everyone gets given there NSR goody-bag, which contains amongst other things, your free NSR T-shirt and a programme of what's happening when throughout the 2 days (you'll only get one of these, so try not to lose it). We then have a drink in our NSR T-shirts.
- An evening meal of Curry will be available at a price (free to special helpers)
- It's then a short walk to the rugby club and marquee, where the party starts. It's time to meet the other 650+ people who'll be there, and have a lot more to drink.

SATURDAY
- Feeling maybe slightly delicate, you'll be greeted by the infamous NSR "UP-TIME" to get you moving. Unfortunately there's lots to fit in over the weekend, so the desired 11am start isn't really ideal.
- We then, as a club, make the short walk to the actual (brand new, might I add) white water course - beyond the rugby club and marquee of the night before.
- Leeds Uni will set up a base where all our boats and general sh*t will be kept.
- Throughout the morning EVERYONE then completes what's called an "Exteme Pole dancing Run" - one run of the course where you'll have to complete a few easy (i.e. something everyone can do) challenges. A kayaking stud will demonstrate a run so you know what's happening. And don't panic, there'll be expert safety provision in case you decide to go for a quick dip.
- Each challenge will be scored, and then based on this score you're put in a category for later on - be it NOVICE, INTERMEDIATE, or EXPERT - a mens and womens section for each (except there's no intermediate women's).
- Then over Saturday and Sunday, there will be Novice, Intermediate and Expert Heats (both men and womens) which eventually lead to a final in each category.
- Times of when you will complete extreme Pole dancing/heats etc. are posted on a big noticeboard, so are easy to find out. You'll also be given a bib to wear by LUUCC when you compete.
- The kayaking is eventually put to bed at the end of the day - by which time the important bit starts - THE PARTAY! Everyone piles into the marquee (transformed into an actual decent nightclub) in their space costumes and we dance and drink to the wee hours.

SUNDAY
- Oh no, UP TIME! My head REALLY hurts now, I actually feel like death - but this only happens ONCE a year, so its time to man up.
- Its time to head back to course for the rest of the events - heats and finals. As well as the vast majority competing in K1 (i.e. normal kayak), there's plenty of other things to watch - C1, divorce boat and Squirt boating to name but a few. The divorce boat final is always a particular highlight.
- The finals conclude and a massive presentation takes place at the end of the day.
- Then its simply time for a massive Leeds team photo, packing away our tents and heading back off to Leeds.

ALL WEEKEND
- As well as the course itself, there will be plenty of top retailers kicking around as part of NSR and Paddlefest (a separate event), a PGL recruitment tent (if you fancy working in outdoor centres abroad and in the UK), expedition and coaching opportunities from LoveItLiveIt, First Aid provision thanks to the good people at Extreme Care, DJ Dave playing some quality tunes, and top quality coaching sessions available from people like Tom Parker and Lowri Davies to name but a few.
- Leeds Uni (US) are of course the organisers of the rodeo, and there will be tonnes of jobs to get involved in - such as bar work, safety and first aid, tea and toastie making to name but a few. If your not involved in that, you'll be helping out with what's called "Running" - which involves running down the course, taking scores off the judges for all the 650+ competitors doing the extreme Pole dancing. Sabina will provide more info on this nearer the time.

What now?

It's now time to get your costume sorted and start getting REALLY excited about the weekend - you will soon know why it is THE highlight of the year.

How excited am I? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

More Info

If anyone can think of other things worth mentioning - please slap it up below!

If you've any questions find me, or ANYONE who's been to the rodeo before and they'll put your mind at rest.

Or visit the website:
http://www.nationalstudentrodeo.org.uk

Or look at Paul's photos from last year:
http://pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/both/nsr2008/index.htm

One last thing - I've got my costume sorted! Have you…?

Live long and prosper,
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Hey gang!

Just thought I’d check up on you to make sure you’re OK. How is everything?...Alright?...Still got that rash?...Ooh, yeah I had that!

Well, although exams loom over us, don’t forget Summer is just around the corner, and the nice weather should (fingers crossed) be frequenting us more so we can get some serious BBQ related procrastination well and truly nailed in May and June. Even though it may seem like there’s not much going on in the LUUCC world, there’s actually oodles happening under your very nose!

BOATING
Yeah I know, I know, LUUCC trips, pool and polo sessions have stopped – but that definitely doesn’t mean your boating has to. Rain will always make an appearance at some point, as will some awesome surf conditions no doubt (and don’t forget those all important dam releases). For all the lowdown on any trips heading out of Leeds, keep a close eye on the forum: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/index.php And even if there’s no trips advertised or plans formulated, just pipe up yourself with a new thread along the lines of “Take me kayaking!” (that’s if Chris “afternoon exams are great because I can start revising on the morning of the exam” Merriman, doesn’t beat you to it!) Just remember the club’s hiring kit policy found here: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2826

LUUCC CELEBRATES
In case you’ve not seen the forum in a while, LUUCC has been recognised both by the University and in the media for being quite simply one of the best paddling clubs in the country (not that we didn’t know that already!)
Firstly, a good friend of the club’s: Chris Headland – who is editor of X-Sport International magazine has proclaimed LUUCC April’s “CLUB OF THE MONTH” – a fantastic achievement. A lengthy article has been published in the online mag, with questions answered by yours truly. Read it all here: http://www.xsport-magazine.com/ Just click on “View online mag” and select “Club on the Month” from the dropdown box to your left. Whilst you’re at it, have a thumb through the rest of the magazine – it’s not a bad read!
And if that wasn’t enough, LUUCC has been recognised by the University at its major events of the year on no less than 2 occasions. The annual club colours dinner held last night (Wednesday) saw myself, Peter H and Sabina Chilton collect Club Colours for dedication to the running of the club over the past 12 months; Jon Fuller (King of the Wave) picking up a well deserved full colours for more of the same and being nationally (if not internationally) recognised as the consistent holder of a major freestyle title. Special prizes of the evening were presented to Andy J and Luke Farrington, who were presented with Gryphon Awards for outstanding sporting achievement; notably their selection onto this summer’s BUKE KayakNam trip – and particularly for Luke his appointment as expedition leader and getting in with the GB squirt bum-boys and gals. However, perhaps the most important award of the evening went to Paul Wilkinson – who received the White Rose Award. Paul has been an integral part of the club’s workings for many years now, and in that theme – his dedicated service was recognised formally last night. Also last night, the club received an (admittedly vague) nomination for the “Deloitte Club of the Year” award for “an exceptional year all round.” Despite losing out to cycling, it was still a great achievement for the club.
On top of that, LUUCC – or more specifically the National Student Rodeo – has been nominated for Best Exhibition at this Friday’s Riley Awards held in the Union. Thanks to all those who nominated the club online over the past couple of months for a Riley and I hope you’ll have your fingers crossed for Peter, Paul and Luke who are heading along to the black tie ceremony on Friday night. AND FOR THE REST OF YOU – we shall be meeting them afterwards for a drink and a boogie at Fruity (I know, Fruity, but still...!) Read more about this below!

THE ALPS
Plans for the Alps are beginning to take shape now and if you’re on board and down with the kids who are heading out – get shotgunning those car spaces, booking those ferries, sorting the insurance and getting excited. York Uni are also planning on meeting up with us in France.
All the info is here on this forum page: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2853 For Paul’s photos from last year, visit: http://zenphoto.pwilkinson.net/alpsjune2008/

There will also be an Alps Training Weekend to North Wales on 9th-10th May to ensure those committed to going to the Alps keep familiar with paddling one of those kayak things. If there’s not much water around, we shall be spending most of our time on the dam released River Tryweryn. The plan is to leave at 8am on the Saturday morning and stopover at Ty Isaf campsite near Bala – which is as cheap as fried potatoes, and allows BBQs, campfires and all things which may have been related to Carrick in the past, but aren’t any more. Priority will be given to those travelling to the Alps – but is of course open to any intermediate (grade 3-4) paddler. For all the latest info and to sign up, visit this forum topic: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2926

SWINE FLU
I tried to ring NHS Direct today for advice about Swine Flu..........All I got was crackling!

SOCIAL THIS FRIDAY!!
As I’ve mentioned; Paul, Peter and Luke will (hopefully) be collecting the Best Exhibition Riley Award on Friday – and we need YOU to come down and support them at the insanely good night out that is Fruity. We’ll be having some pre-drinks at 7:30pm at my house (13 Inglewood Terrace, on Delph Lane, Woodhouse, LS6 2HT) before heading off to the Union. Map to my house is here It would be great to see as many people from the club celebrating with the 09 rodeo team as possible, and its another great opportunity for a big blow out before exams grab us by our private parts!

That’s all for now,
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Welcome back to a new year with LUUCC!

I hope you've all had a splendiforous Summer, and are now eager to get back to some canoe club banter, messiness and top class boating! The club had an awesome trip out to the Alps way back in June, with most of us spending nearly a month out there paddling some classics. Meanwhile, I'm sure you may have spotted some of the LUUCC hall of fame greats out paddling some gnarl at various spots around the world including Iceland, Norway and Russia. Our BUKE boys, Andy J and Luke are also back from what looks like an amazing trip to Vietnam, look out for a talk from them soon in the coming year!

**SPORTS FAIR 2009 - Tuesday 22nd and Wednesday 23rd September, Sports Hall 1**

But enough of the past, on to the future. Coming up next week is arguably one of the most important events on the Canoe Club calendar - THE ALMIGHTY SPORTS FAIR! This is our chance to recruit as many freshers as possible - and take it from me who has learnt the hard way - BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER. BUT (and it's a big JLO sized but!) to make 09/10 a year to remember with the biggest club yet, we need YOUR help! The more people we have helping out - the more innocent freshers we can recruit; making for a much bigger, better, messier, ground-breaking, York ass-kicking, Tyne Tour invading, Rodeo history-making year ahead!

So, if you're not up to anything on the Tuesday and Wednesday of Freshers Week, please check out the following topic on the forum: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... 6&start=60 and slap up a post. There's all sorts of jobs the club could do with help with, including baking cakes, flyering around halls, handing out flyers around campus in paddling kit, manning the stall, making noticeboards and loads loads more! Even if you've the odd hour here or there, it would be great to see you. Please visit the forum topic and slap up a post, or drop me an email (thecaptain@luucc.co.uk) if you're happy to help!

Don't forget as well all your hard work will not go un-rewarded. All those who help out are invited to a pre-lash session round at my house, with plenty of free beers or "interesting punch" available. This is of course preparation for the legendary event that is SCHOOL DISCO. Buy your tickets now at http://www.leedstickets.com/eventinfo/1 ... -your-life. It's set to be a great night!

**COMMITTEE and COACHES MEETING - Monday 21st September 2009**

We shall also be having our first committee meeting of the year on the Monday of freshers week, at 5pm in ARC meeting room 8. That is upstairs in the Union, outside the balcony/upstairs entrance of the Riley Smith Hall.

This is open to EVERYONE, particularly those who regularly coach at Holt Park and at any other club event. As well as discussing lots of important stuff about the year ahead, we'll also be chatting about a new coaching framework for the club and an action plan for the first few pool sessions in particular. So, it would be great to see all those who coach at Holt Park to head down for a chat. See you there!

**JOINING THE CLUB 2009/10**
The Union has now become all technological this year, and all membership will be done online as opposed to fiddly paper and notes. The details of this are still being ironed out at the moment, so I'll be sending another e-mail soon about how to go about this. Also, don't think because it's online you can get away with not joining - I got my eye on you! Watch this space for more info!

I'm getting far too excited now about the year ahead - I hope you are too! Hopefully see you in freshers week!

All my love now and always,
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Howdy!

The warmest of warm welcomes to a brand new year with LUUCC – one of the most active clubs at the University of Leeds and one of the biggest canoe clubs in the UK! If you’re new to Leeds this year, cheers if you came to check us out at the Sports Fair this week and I hope you’re keen to come and see what we’re all about this week. So, without further waffle, here’s what’s happening this week!

MONDAY 28th and TUESDAY 29th – FIRST POOL SESSIONS – Holt Park Leisure Centre
These are our first events of the year, and an opportunity to see what we’re all about. The general plan is to have a quick swim test (2 unaided lengths of the pool, non-timed), get out a few boats and in groups receive some tip top introductory coaching from our seasoned canoe demi-gods. So even if you’ve never sat in a boat before and not really sure what kayaking actually is or if you’re the next “up and coming” who’s boated for years, there will be something for everyone!
The easiest way to get there is using the number 1 bus, which picks up at all stops on the Otley Road heading out of town. But being the kind soles we are, there’ll be canoe club peeps at Parkinson Steps, Headingley Arndale bus stop (opposite Sainsbury’s) and Bodington Hall bus stop (on the main road, heading out of town) to meet people and escort you up to the pool! Aren’t we luverly?

The two pool sessions will be exactly the same in nature – so please do not feel you HAVE to come to both, or indeed you HAVE to come to the Monday session. So, please by all means pick a night to go that suits you best, but be aware we can only accommodate so many people at each session.

Times to meet and greet are stated below:
MONDAY – Session starts at 9pm – meeting at all bus stops at 7:50pm
TUESDAY – Session starts at 9:30pm – meeting at all bus stops at 8:20pm

Each session will a bargain-tastic £1.50. Please bring that along together with some appropriate swimwear and a towel.

After each session we’ll be heading to the Skyrack Pub in Headingley for a post-session beer or white wine for the ladies, and to carry on getting to know all the amazing people in the club, and indeed anyone new you’ve met that night!

WEDNESDAY 30th – RIVER TRIP and SOCIAL
RIVER TRIP – River Wharfe, Wetherby, 1:30pm at the Chapel
On Wednesday we’ll be having the first of many introductory river trips, focusing on the basics of white water kayaking in a predominantly flat water environment on the River Wharfe near Wetherby. So, if you’re new to the sport and itching to get out to see what really goes down with this kayaking lark, then this is this perfect opportunity. Even if you’ve done some boating before, it’s still a great way to meet some like-minded folks and see how things are run!
For the trip, we shall be meeting at the Chapel (50m from the Sports Centre) at 1:30pm. Transport will be via minibus. The cost of the trip shall only be £3-4 each.
To sign up for this trip, for insurance reasons you HAVE to be a fully paid joined-up member of the club, which costs £30 for the year. For information about how to do this, please follow the link to a step by step guide below.
Once you’ve joined the club, just pop your name and details down on the “Wednesday river trip” sign up list on the canoe club noticeboard (upstairs in the Union) which will be posted up from Tuesday morning onwards. The sign up system has a first come-first served basis and places will be limited, so get on it!
For more information about what to bring, where the Chapel is, where the canoe club noticeboard is etc. etc., please visit the FAQ link posted below.

SOCIAL – 8pm at Terrace Bar in the Union
LUUCC is much much more that just a canoe club – it’s time now to see the other (and occasionally darker for some, but better for others!) side of the club – the MoFo SOCIAL side!
Our very own Social Sex Nic and Lucy have planned us a top secret but guaranteed awesome night out into town for us all to get to know each other and to get up to some alcohol fuelled mischief and get to know each other better. Even if you don’t drink, fear not, we’re not into these silly rumoured initiations, you’ll be welcome with open arms (although that may be an invitation for you to hold them upright! ;-) jokes!) The night kicks off in the Terrace Bar in the Union, right next to the main entrance, at 8pm.
If you get a bit lost of want more info, feel free to drop Nicola or Lucy a call on the following numbers:
Nicola – 07837 356 241
Lucy – 07920 554 580

THURSDAY 1st – CANOE POLO SESSION, 8pm at the Chapel
Thursday night sees us take on the whacky “sport” of Canoe Polo – which is a cross between water polo, basketball, netball and well...canoeing. I could sit here trying to explain the game till I’m blue in the face (or red in the fingers I suppose), but the best way is to come see for yourself, or chat to Adam (our Emerald-Isle Canoe Polo Sec) at the Pool session. All I can say is the game is awesome fun and is suitable for all abilities! Even if Monday was you’re first session, canoe polo is definitely not out the question – we have loads of beginner games along with games for those who’ve done plenty before.
Session is held at Wetherby Pool which the club provides transport for. We shall be meeting at the Chapel (see FAQs for where this is) at 8pm for some wet action with balls! All you need is the same kit as a standard pool session, and costs the introductory price of £3.00.

SUNDAY 4th – CLUB TRIP, 9am at the Chapel (NOT 10am as previously advertised)
This Sunday we shall be having our first full day trip out and about! This week we’re having a beginner trip for all those completely new to the sport on flat water on the Leeds-Liverpool canal near Blackburn in rural Lancashire. This trip aims to look at the basics of canoeing, learning a few skills and strokes whilst having some fun playing a few games. The ethos of the day will be to have a good laugh without too much of a fear factor, perfect for the newcomer!
We shall be meeting at 9am at the Chapel, all specialist equipment will be provided. For more information on what to bring and exactly where to meet, please see the FAQ section below. The trip will cost between £5 and 8
As with the Wednesday trip, for insurance reasons you HAVE to be a fully paid joined-up member of the club, which costs £30 for the year. For information about how to do this, please follow the link to a step by step guide below.
Once you’ve joined the club, just pop your name and details down on the “Sunday club trip” sign up list on the canoe club noticeboard (upstairs in the Union) which will be posted up from Tuesday morning onwards. The sign up system has a first come-first served basis and places will be limited.

JOINING THE CLUB:
For a step by step guide to joining the club, please visit this link
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3156

FAQs:
If you’re confused about anything in the e-mail, such as locations or what to bring – please visit this FAQ page on our internet forum:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3157

If you’re still unclear on anything, just drop an e-mail to thecaptain@luucc.co.uk

WEBSITE and FORUM:
As you may have noticed the website is having a bit of an overhaul at the moment (bit poorly timed I realise), so most communication will be done via email over the next week. We do however have a very active internet forum/message board service, which has allsorts on it from random bits of news, important club information, stuff about un-official boating trips and much much more. I’d definitely encourage you to check it out and register – http://www.luucc.co.uk/forum

That’s about it for now – I look forward to meeting you all soon!

Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:31 pm

Now then, Now then!

It's time once again for the best part of your week, where you get to read (and get excited about) the upcoming events of LUUCC this week put together tirelessly by yours truly. I hope you're starting to settle in to Leeds or a new academic year nicely and fired up for some more damp action in the coming days. We've got tonnes going on, and as always if you're not sure about anything, just drop me a call/text/e-mail/shout/carrier pigeon with what's up.

Here's what's happening this week!

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONDAY 5th OCTOBER - POOL SESSION - HOLT PARK - 9pm

It was great to see so many of you down on the canal trip on Sunday - I had a wicked time and hope you all did to. For those that missed out, get down to the pool session to continue getting to grips with those basic strokes and perfect the ones you learnt last week. As always there'll be top coaches on hand and plenty of like minded people to have a good ol' chinwag with. If you're abit of a stud muffin when it comes to the old kayaking lark - there's still endless amounts of stuff you can learn in the pool from practicing your off-side roll to cartwheeling, or indeed get to grips with some coaching of beginners.

The easiest way to get there is using the number 1 bus (Brown Line), which picks up at all stops on the Otley Road heading out of town. We'll not be meeting people en-route this week I'm afraid, but don't fret: the bus timetable is here, and remember the session kicks off at 9pm prompt!
And for those of you who came last week and enjoyed a crisp evening walk or should I say hike - we aim to ensure we actually get on the bus this time for the way back. We'll be hearing from the bus company shortly about what they think (keep an eye on the forum - http://www.luucc.co.uk/forum - for news on that!)

Just bring along £1.50 (the session fee), some suitable swimwear and a towel and you're all set to go! If you're new to us this week, just let myself or another oldie/committee member know and we'll sort you out post haste with a quick swim test!

We'll also be popping down to the Skyrack in Headingley after the session as usual for a tall glass (or several tall glasses) of something to help us sleep soundly and of course have a natter.

WEDNESDAY 7th OCTOBER - RIVER TRIP and SOCIAL

RIVER TRIP – River Wharfe, Wetherby, 1:00pm at the Chapel

On Wednesday we’ll be having an introductory river trip for those who have not managed to get out with us yet, focusing on the basics of white water kayaking in a predominantly flat water environment on the River Wharfe near Wetherby. This will be the only beginner's river trip we shall be having this week, so I'd definitely recommend coming down to see what kayaking REALLY is all about.

For the trip, we shall be meeting at the Chapel (50m from the Sports Centre) at 1:30pm. Transport will be via minibus. The cost of the trip will only be £4 each.

To sign up for this trip, for insurance reasons you HAVE to be a fully paid joined-up member of the club, which costs £30 for the year. For information about how to do this, please follow the link to a step by step guide below under "Joining the Club".

You can sign up for the trip in the Skyrack after the pool session tonight or on Tuesday between 10am and 6pm at the "club noticeboard", upstairs in the Union. The sign up system has a first come-first served basis and places will be limited, so get on it! If you are signed up as a "reserve", you'll be contacted on Tuesday evening as to whether or not you'll be able to come along.

For more information about what to bring, where the Chapel is, where the canoe club noticeboard is etc. etc., please visit the FAQ link posted below. Please ensure you bring all the correct stuff, we'd hate to have to turn you away for something as silly as rocking up in shorts and t-shirt.

SOCIAL – 8pm SHARP at Terrace Bar in the Union
Bowling, meet at the Terrace --(ABSOLUTE LATEST you can get to the terrace is 9!)

Kayaking? What kayaking?
For those that came along to last weeks social, I hope you all had as much an awesome time as I did - the 4:30am get-in and morning after facebook respectable cycle ride summed up the night really!

This week Nic and Luce have planned us another tip top night out, kicking off at the Terrace at 8pm SHARP, before moving on to the Merriman Centre in town for some BOWLING! Cheap pints, immature bowling screen names, tellings-off from the alley staff and girls being denied the barriers up by the men are all standard japes of the evening. We do however HAVE to be at the alley for 9pm, so DO NOT be late at the Terrace (I realise I'm probably telling myself this more than anyone else)! If you're running late just drop Nicola (07837356241) or Lucy (07821757587) a call.

After bowling, some 2-4-1 cocktails and a bit of a boogie at Viva Latina should do just nicely - anyone caught trying to go home early will get a private tall dance from Andy J!

THURSDAY 8th OCTOBER - Polo - 8pm at the Chapel

Last Thursday saw our first canoe polo session up at Wetherby Pool and it was great to see plenty of beginners heading down and a few bright stars of the future to boot. However, in true match.com style, polo is now oversubscribed with HOT, NEW MEN - and it would be good to see some ladies down there. Jokes and inaccuracies aside, polo really does sharpen up your boating and put simply gets you more better more faster. Even if you are a total beginner who started out at the Monday pool session, polo can still be for you - we play nice!

We'll be meeting at 8pm at the Chapel (by the south entrance of the University), just bring along swimwear, a towel and £3.50 (the session fee). If you've any questions about polo, just get in touch with PoloSec Adam on 07971315733.

SATURDAY 10th OCTOBER - Yorkshire Canoe Polo Ladies Match - York

For more information on Saturday's ladies team match - keep an eye on the forum - http://www.luucc.co.uk/forum or drop Adam a call on 07971315733

SUNDAY 11th OCTOBER - Intermediate/Advanced River Trip, location TBC - Meeting at 9am at the Chapel

This Sunday we shall be having an intermediate/advanced river trip, for all those in the club who can paddle comfortably and compotently on Grade 3 water or above. Where exactly we go depends on the water levels - there is some patchy rain forecast later in the week, and some sort of what can only be desribed as a Tsunami on the NE coast as far as surf goes. Regardless, we aim to paddle on a classic Grade 3/4 river of the area focusing on advanced river running techniques, group paddling skills or indeed anything you want to get out of the day personally. It's also a chance to get a feel for how club trips of this nature are run in the club and get to meet some like-minded boaters so you can start planning those all important personal trips on the forum when the rain and surf arrives.

The sign up sheet for the river trip will be on the club noticeboard (upstairs in the Union) from Wednesday lunchtime onwards. To sign up for this trip, for insurance reasons you HAVE to be a fully paid joined-up member of the club, which costs £30 for the year. For information about how to do this, please follow the link to a step by step guide below under "Joining LUUCC". We'll be meeting for the trip at 9am at the Chapel (next to the south entrance of the University) - transport will be by minibus.

If you aren't really sure whether you can attend the river trip ability-wise, please feel free to chat to myself, preferably in person or on the phone 07786196720.

JOINING THE CLUB:

FAQs:

If you’re confused about anything in the e-mail, such as locations or what to bring – please visit this FAQ page on our internet forum:

If you’re still unclear on anything, just drop an e-mail to thecaptain@luucc.co.uk

WEBSITE and FORUM:

Our website is now functional again thanks to the hard work of our good friend Giles B - please check it out at http://www.luucc.co.uk. We also have a very active internet forum/message board service, which has allsorts on it from random bits of news, important club information, stuff about un-official boating trips and much much more. I’d definitely encourage you to check it out and register – http://www.luucc.co.uk/forum

Stay classy

Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Alreeet!

Just like an eclipse or refuse collection, it's time for the LUUCC weekly e-mail - it may not happen as often as you'd like but it's always special when it does! And and and, this weeks is a real BIGGY! Read on...

First things first, here's what's happneing this week!

Monday 12th October - Pool Session - Holt Park - 9pm
It's time for another jam packed pool session, where total beginners can get to grips with what canoeing is all about learning some basic strokes with one of our tip top coaches, or those studley muffins can learn some more advanced stuff and rip it up in our resident playboat. All this and the chance to meet a right friendly bunch of people for the small sum of just £1.50. If you've not come along to one of our pool sessions yet, don't stress we can cater for complete beginners at any time of the year - just let us know as you arrive!

The session is held at Holt Park Leisure Centre, kicking off at 9pm. To get up to Holt Park, simply catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line), which picks up at all stops on the Otley Road heading out of town. The bus timetable is here: http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/yorkhumber/leeds/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&service=1&routeid=775231&operator=16&source=sp, please leave plenty of time! All you need for the session is some swimwear, the session fee and a towel - cracking!

We'll also be having our standard post-session Skyrack beverage to have a bit more of a chinwag! Get on it!

Wednesday 14th October - SOCIAL TIME! - Old Bar, 8pm
For those who have come along to socials already, you know by now they are the event of the week not to be missed; and this week shall be no exception.

As a change of pace, and under the decree of social demon Fon Juller (KoTW), this week we plan to meet at the OLD BAR at 8pm, downstairs in the Union for some socialising with a bit of decorum, meat platters and quality real ales as opposed to being penned in a poorly decorated dark corner of the Terrace.

Following that, Nic and Luce have lined us up another top night out, this week at Carpe Diem for some cheap drinks (£1.25 a pint!) interspersed with the very best in indie and electro. If you get a bit stuck of late, then give Nicola (07837356241) or Lucy (07920554580) a bell. See you there!

There will be no beginner trip this Wednesday, but there will be one next week and this Sunday (read below).

Thursday 15th October - Polo Session - 8pm, meeting at the Chapel
If you are new to the canoe club this year and wondered what this is all about, just pop down to this Thursdays session and see for yourself. The polo sessions are very beginner friendly, so even if you've never played before or not sure what the hell goes on - you'll be made super welcome. The game is essentially a cross between basketball, netball and well...canoeing, and the best part is it really improves your boating skills and accelerates your development of handling a kayak like a pro. The game (or hobby) isn't taken massively seriously on Thursdays, most just come down for a laugh so don't feel like you'll be intimidated. And ladies, if you didn't get enough of looking at the fine male specimins on the club on the Monday, this is an extra chance! For any questions on Polo or indeed Northern Ireland, simply call Adam on 07971315733.

The session is held at Wetherby Pool, but the club can sort transport to there for you. Just meet us at the Chapel (next to the south entrance of the University) at 8pm with some swimwear a towel and £3.50 and we'll sort you out!

Sunday 18th October - Beginners River Trip - meeting at 9am at the Chapel
If you've still not managed to get out on a river trip with us yet, then this is your prime opportunity. We'll be having a full day out kayaking especially with beginners in mind this Sunday, focusing on basic river running skills and introductory white water kayaking techniques. Where exactly go I cannot disclose for security reasons...and I haven't decided yet, but rest assured it promises to be a great day out on the river, costing between £5-8. A reminder you have to be a fully paid member of the club (see below for joining instructions) to attend this trip. For more information on what to bring and where the Chapel is etc. consult the information page of our website (http://www.luucc.co.uk).

The sign up sheet for this trip will be on the club noticeboard (upstairs in the Union) from Tuesday 10am onwards until Friday afternoon. If you are signed up as a reserve, you will be contacted on Saturday as to whether or not you can come along, it will be dependent on how many cars/drivers are available.

We'll be meeting for the trip on the Sunday itself at the Chapel (the canoe club boatstore, next to the South entrance of the the University). This will be the only beginner trip of the week, so please launch yourself onto it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOINING THE CLUB:

FAQs:

WEBSITE and FORUM:

Our website is now functional again thanks to the hard work of our good friend Giles B - please check it out at www.luucc.co.uk. We also have a very active internet forum/message board service, which has allsorts on it from random bits of news, important club information, stuff about un-official boating trips and much much more. I’d definitely encourage you to check it out and register – http://www.luucc.co.uk/forum

Shimplez,

Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:43 pm

Ow do!?

Award winning, critically accliamed and a pioneer of its age; it's time once again for the moist-making LUUCC weekly e-mail. Here's what's happening in your canoeing world over the next seven days.

Monday 19th October - Pool Session - Holt Park - 9pm
Getting to grips with the basics or pushing your boating that much harder in a warm, safe (relatively, there are still chavy and kiwi lifeguards to keep an eye out for) enviornment is the perfeck way to spend a Monday evening if your up for some boating but not sure where to go next. With quality coaches on hand and the slim price of £1.50 for the session, it'd be silly not to head down. If you've not come along to one of our pool sessions yet, No Drama! we can cater for complete beginners at any time of the year - just let us know as you arrive!
The session is held at Holt Park Leisure Centre, kicking off at 9pm. To get up to Holt Park, simply catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line), which picks up at all stops on the Otley Road heading out of town. All you need for the session is some swimwear, the session fee and a towel - bonus!
We'll also be having our obligatory Skyrack pint after the session to get to know what's new in all our lives! Laaavly!

Wednesday 21st October - River Trip and Social
Beginners River Trip - Collingham/Slenningford - Meet at the Chapel at 1pm
If you're a bit tentative on making the move from the pool to the river, or if you've not managed to make it out with us on a river trip yet, this Wednesday we’ll be having an introductory river trip, focusing on the basics of white water kayaking; such as standard river features and how best to paddle them without tipping in. Top coaches will be on hand to turn you from zero to hero, all in an afternoon.
For the trip, we shall be meeting at the Chapel (50m from the Sports Centre, next to the south entrance of the university) at 1:00pm. Transport will be via minibus. The cost of the trip will only be £4 each - what a bargain I hear you cry!.
To sign up for this trip, for insurance reasons you HAVE to be a fully paid joined-up member of the club, which costs £30 for the year. For information about how to do this, please follow the link to a step by step guide below under "Joining the Club".
You can sign up for the trip in the Skyrack after the pool session tonight or on Tuesday between 10am and 6pm at the "club noticeboard", upstairs in the Union. The sign up system has a first come-first served basis and places will be limited, so get on it! If you are signed up as a "reserve", you'll be contacted on Tuesday evening as to whether or not you'll be able to come along.
For more information about what to bring, where the Chapel is, where the canoe club noticeboard is etc. etc., please visit the FAQ link posted below.

Social-tastic! Old Bar, 8pm
As you and the toilet bowl of Carpe Diem may have discovered by my own personal social endeavours on a Wednesday evening; it's pretty difficult to just "have a quiet one" when you're out with LUUCC. However, if you have more will power than me (and that's not too difficult) you might just manage to not feel like death the day after and still have a great time.
This week we continue our much successful start at the OLD BAR at 8pm, downstairs in the Union for some more ale-fuelled mingling, because the Terrace isn't very good anymore (for now at least...).
Afterwards, we're heading out for another epic social, and an annual classic, it's the ROLLER DISCO at Bar Risa in town, which kicks off at 10pm. So, perhaps go easy on the pints if you value your current hips, or don't go easy to numb the pain. It's time for some classic 80s boogieing, I for one can't wait! Roller Disco is only £6 for the whole night, and plans are afoot to head to Walkabout afterwards - crikey Sheila!

Thursday 22nd October - Polo Session - 8pm, meeting at the Chapel
A load of people (Northern Irish ones mainly) have been parping about polo for 3 weeks now, so if you've still not headed down to check out what it actually involves, now is the week to get well and truly on it! (unless you're going to see Frank Turner...) The game is essentially a cross between basketball, netball and well...canoeing, and the best part is it really improves your boating skills and accelerates your development of handling a kayak like a pro. At LUUCC, polo is as much about offering that competitve element who have more testosterone than a lumberjack in a hi-vis jacket, but providing a non-intimidating atmosphere and most of all having a bit of a laugh. So don't feel you're lack of experience in a boat will be any sort of an issue, even if you're a lady - polo is for ALL! For any questions on Polo, simply call Adam on 07971315733.
The session is held at Wetherby Pool, but the club can sort transport to there for you. Just meet us at the Chapel (next to the south entrance of the University) at 8pm with some swimwear a towel and £3.50 and we'll sort you out!

Saturday 24th October - Unofficial Advanced trip - please consult the forum
The aim for the club is to get everyone paddling on white water at least once before Tyne Tour, so this Sunday shall be a beginners trip once again. However, for you studley muffins who are froffing at the gash to get out, I'm trying to organise a little unofficial trip in cars out boating. Locations in mind are Teesside or Upper Tees should water appear, but always open to suggestions. Pre-requisites are Grade 3-4 paddling experience with a reliable roll.
Consult this topic on the forum for more info:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3231

Sunday 25th October - Beginners River Trip - meeting at 9am at the Chapel
It's time to step paddling up a notch and taking the experience learnt on the flatwater trips onto bigger and better things - the WHITE stuff. This Sunday we're having a trip focusing on the necessary skills to paddle class 2-3 water preferably head dry, and get some adrenaline pumping. The current plan is to head to the River Irwell for some fun and frolicks and get (relatively) extreme!
This trip is open to people of all abilities and will cost between £5 and 8. To sign up, just head to the club noticeboard from Wednesday lunchtime onwards - and please do not find a bit of scrap paper and sign yourself up should the list not be there! Our aim is to have plenty of spots available, but if you end up as a reserve, you shall be contacted on Saturday as to whether or not you can come along.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TYNE TOUR 2009 - 6th-8th November

Tyne Tour 09 has been well and truly launched and some of you have already paid up as well - wicked! If I haven't accosted you about Tyne Tour yet, or if you are still confused about what this monumentous event entails, please have a scan at this link:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3210, which has everything you could possibly need to know.

SIGNING UP:
If you've read the link above and thought "Frig Yeah!" then signing up for Tyne Tour couldn't be easier! Just head along to the Helpdesk (the main reception of the Union as you walk through the main entrance) this week and say "I'd like to sign up for Tyne Tour please, now, right now!"
Then you'll be asked a few ickle details and to hand over £35 in cold hard cash and you're all set. This year we want LUUCC to be out in force to make those memories even hazier, so don't put it off, get on it today! Awesome!

T-SHIRTS, GET YA T-SHIRTS:
Every year, we design T-shirts for the event, and this year will be no exception. However, we need a spiffing design to go on it, so if you've got a good idea but no techno skills to back it up, or if you've recently finished designing your first billboard, then have a look at this forum topic - the Tyne Tour T-shirt competition!
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3211
The winning design gets a free T-shirt and the pride of having 70 drunk student sporting you own vision! The more designs the better please!

MORE INFO:
Still got a question? Ask any old member of the club, e-mail me (thecaptain@luucc.co.uk) or better yet have a scan at some of these links:
2008 photos: http://zenphoto.pwilkinson.net/tynetour2008/
Tyne Tour website: http://www.tynetour.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOINING THE CLUB:

FAQs:

WEBSITE and FORUM:
Our website is now functional again thanks to the hard work of our good friend Giles B - please check it out at http://www.luucc.co.uk. We also have a very active internet forum/message board service, which has allsorts on it from random bits of news, important club information, stuff about un-official boating trips and much much more. I’d definitely encourage you to check it out and register – http://www.luucc.co.uk/forum

Yours forever,
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Greetings and Salutations!

Full of those amazing one-liners and banter that you'll want to tell your mates and pass it off as your own - This is everything you hoped it would be and more...This is the LUUCC weekly e-mail!

Monday 26th October - Pool Session - Holt Park - 9pm
You know the drill now - head down to the superb LUUCC pool session for fun and frolicks with your new found friends and learn a bit more about this canoeing stuff. If you've been on a river trip with us recently, you'll know it can be flipping cold - so the luvrly warm pool is a great place to practice those new things you've learnt and lots more!
The session is held at Holt Park Leisure Centre, kicking off at 9pm. To get up to Holt Park, simply catch the number 1 bus (Brown Line), which picks up at all stops on the Otley Road heading out of town. The session costs absolutely sod all at just £1.50, and all you need to bring along is some swim wear and a towel. Make sure you head down to the Skyrack afterwards of course for a wee beverage and catch up with all the latest club gossip.

Wednesday 28th October - Social with a difference - Old Bar - 8pm
It's time once again for another awesome social organised by our very own Nic and Lucy and this week the plan is to do something slightly different to start with, before heading out to do what we do best!
The plan is to meet at the Old Bar at 8pm as usual before heading up to ARC meeting room 2 around 9 for two amazing talks by former and current club members about all their latest adventures in the sport of kayaking, and how the sport has become a big part of their lives over the past few years.
The first talk will be by former member Luke Farrington and our very own Competition Sec Andy J about a little trip they took this summer, a pioneering kayaking expedition to Vietnam. Andy and Luke were part of a 9 strong team known as the British Universities Kayak Expedition (with Luke as the main trip leader) which had the main aim of heading out to a relatively uncharted part of South East Asia for 6 weeks to paddle rivers that hadn't been inspected by a kayaker before let alone run, and rivers that would leave many of us with brown trousers! But much more than that, the 9 boys on the expedition were keen to explore the amazing culture of this very special part of the world, so they have returned with stories and pictures of them not only running amazing waterfalls like it was childsplay, but also them dealing with the horrendous logistics, seeing the amazing sights of cities such as Hanoi and Hong Kong, coping with travelling through one of the most militant countries in the world and in many cases embracing the culture a little too much with some liquid satisfaction with what can only be described as bewildering repercussions. The British Universities Kayak Expedition (BUKE) team are currently in the middle of a busy schedule of talks about their adventures at various national paddling events, including the G17 APWE in Dartmoor, Wet West Paddle Fest in Scotland, the student safety seminar at the National Mountain Centre, and at many other universities across the UK, so it's a great to be treated to our very own special one.
The next talk will be by another LUUCC living legend, this time one of those lady things - Miss Sara James. Sara arrived at the University of Leeds as a fresher and just like many of us fancied maybe taking up canoeing as it seemed like a bit of a laugh, but didn't have too much experience. A few years down the line, her paddling accelerated massively as she pushed her paddling grade harder and harder, and by the end of her time at uni she was one of the strongest paddlers in the club and one of the organisers of the National Student Rodeo in 2007. Today, she is a member of Team Pyranha - a set of elite paddlers sponsored by one of the biggest paddling kit companies and on the Great British Squirt Kayaking team - not bad really! And much more, Sara has paddled in the European Alps, Norway, Iceland and Uganda to name but a few. It's set to be an inspiring talk, especially for you ladies in the club!
With the talks done and dusted, it's time to do what we do best - planning to head down to HiFi for Mowtown night, this time with some LUUCC veterans to show em how old they are! I personally can't wait.

Thursday 29th October - Canoe Polo - Meet at the Chapel, 8pm.
It's time once again for abit of canoeing with an edge - it's time to get wet with some balls! Beginners are always welcome to this session, even if you've only come along to a couple of pool sessions, it's a fantastic way to get better at boating faster and is a great laugh to boot! For any questions on Polo, simply call Adam on 07971315733.

Sunday 1st November - Beginner's River Trip - Meet at the Chapel, 9am
We had an awesome trip to the River Irwell this Sunday for many people's first taste of moving water. With a bit of a chill in the air, it was great to see so many people actually see their boating improving as the day progressed. So, if you went yesterday and hungry for more, or your still yet to have the pleasure of the white stuff splashing in your face, this is the perfect opportunity. Our plan is to head westwards to the Yorkshire/Cumbria border to the River Lune for some Grade 2/3 river running. This trip will be suitable for all abilities, not just beginners - the Lune has awesome scenery and rapids which can provide entertainment for all. The trip will cost £8 and we'll be meeting at 9am at the Chapel on the Sunday.
To sign up, just head to the club noticeboard from Wednesday midday onwards. Our aim is to have plenty of spots available, but if you end up as a reserve, you shall be contacted on Saturday as to whether or not you can come along.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

TYNE TOUR 2009 - 6th-8th November
If you still haven't signed up for Tyne Tour 09, what have you been doing?! This is THE LAST WEEK to sign up, and signing up will close at the Helpdesk at 4pm on Friday 30th. Plans are well and truly in motion now, and it would be great to take as many people as possible from Leeds - and the sign up list is filling up nicely. The event only costs £35, a great price for a weekend of paddling, drinking, dancing, camping, banter and countless memories. Don't delay - you need to do it NOW!!!!
If I haven't accosted you about Tyne Tour yet, or if you are still confused about what this monumentous event entails, please have a scan at this link: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3210, which has everything you could possibly need to know.

T-SHIRT DESIGN!:
We are still after a deisgn for this years Tyne Tour T-shirts as our creative people are still shying away. An awesome design will really make the event that much better, so please get on it if you have not done so already! Even if you've got a good idea but no techno skills to back it up, then still have a look at this forum topic - the Tyne Tour T-shirt competition!
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3211
The winning design gets a free T-shirt and the pride of having 70 drunk student sporting you own vision! The more designs the better please! All desgins must be submitted by THIS WEDNESDAY.

BUYING YOUR T-SHIRT!:
T-shirts are now available to order from Chris Merriman, price is still being worked out, but he will know tonight at the pool session. You can order and pay for your t-shirt at any club event, just go and grab Chris and he will slap your name down.
You will look like a knob without one, so make sure you get your order in :-)!

MORE INFO:
Still got a question? Ask any old member of the club, e-mail me (thecaptain@luucc.co.uk) or better yet have a scan at some of these links:
2008 photos: http://zenphoto.pwilkinson.net/tynetour2008/
Tyne Tour website: http://www.tynetour.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLUB HOODIES:
Are now available from the RunandJump website at the steal of £16! Check em out and get yours ordered now at:
http://www.runandjumpclothing.co.uk/Leeds_Uni_Canoe.html

JOINING THE CLUB:

FAQs:

WEBSITE and FORUM:
Our website is now functional again thanks to the hard work of our good friend Giles B - please check it out at www.luucc.co.uk. We also have a very active internet forum/message board service, which has allsorts on it from random bits of news, important club information, stuff about un-official boating trips and much much more. I’d definitely encourage you to check it out and register – http://www.luucc.co.uk/forum

Don't forget to sign up ;-),
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Postby mattH » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:49 am

Qu’est que le craic?

For those of you unlucky enough to have the Tyne of your life this weekend, it’s time once again to pick up your knife and fork and get stuck into a large serving of LUUCC! For those of you who were lucky enough, I hope you had just a great a time as I did – and I’d like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who came along and helped out with anything – from drivers and bacon butty makers, to litter pickers and minibus play-list makers. YOU made the event what it was, so EVERYONE should give themselves a wee pat on the back!

Here’s what’s going down over the next few days!

MONDAY 9th November – POOL SESSION – Holt Park 9pm
It’s time to catch up with all the gossip of the weekend, share those memories or hear about what limited stuff people can remember. As always there’ll be top coaches on hand, and best of all, it’s warm water! Skyrack afterwards for brewskies – standard! Session is £1.50, kicking off at 9pm

WEDNESDAY 11th November – PUB QUIZ SOCIAL – Hyde Park Social Club 8pm
The long awaited LUUCC pub quiz is upon us! With a more relaxed attitude to an evening entertainment than the weekend’s debortury, it’s time to get all intellectual!
The aim of the evening is to try and raise a bit of money for the club so we can buy some new things for future years and get some much needed (expensive!) maintenance done, so will be very politely asking for just £2 a player, and the winning team will receive a VERY SPECIAL prize. 4 players to a team, with an appropriate team name!

The venue for this battle of wits is at Hyde Park Social Club on Ash Grove: Map here

Nucy will be bringing along the well loved LUUCC chocolate fountain too, so we can have a chilled night with some general knowledge, and a lot more banter about the weekend! So if you enjoyed the weekend or just love the club and want to give something back, we'll see you there at 8pm!

THURSDAY 12th November – POLO NIGHT – Meet at the Chapel at 8pm
Adam will return to deliver another bout of polo action this Thursday! The standard of everyone’s play is really improving week by week and there’s still chance for you complete beginners to come down and get involved in the pastime/hobby. Get down to...erm...yeah...get wet and balls and other cliché comments and stuff.
See you at the Chapel at 8pm. Session costs £3.50.

SUNDAY 15th November – Advanced River Trip – Meet at the Chapel at 9am
With the flatness and Warden Gorge carnage of the North Tyne behind us, it’s time to once again seek out some classic British Grade 3-4 river running, that isn’t an advertised Grade 2 boiley whrilpooly spate mess. The provisional plan is to head to either the Upper Tees or should water be around make the journey west to the Lakes for a long day of boating. With the more technical nature of the intended rivers, this trip is only available for those who can paddle on compotent and comfortable on Grade 3 white water. If you’re not sure whether this means you – feel free to come and chat with me, give me a ring or drop me an e-mail.
The trip is £8 meeting at 9am at the Chapel, unless otherwise stated later in the week.

Sign up list for the trip will go on the club notice-board tomorrow (Tuesday) at 1pm.

That’s it for now! Take it easy!
Matt x
mattH
Laurent Vales

Next

Return to Announcements