Menu button

Club E-mails 2008/09

Moderator: Web Monkeys

Club E-mails 2008/09

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:17 pm

To subscribe or unsubscribe to e-mail updates use this link: http://www.luucc.co.uk/emails.htm

Andy J wrote:Hiya folks,

If you're interested in kayking with Leeds Uni Canoe Kayak club (the biggest and greatest of its kind in the UK) you've signed up to the right mailing list! In a hungover state from Intro week, teaching and more importantly LUUCC kick off.

We're starting events tomorrow, MONDAY, with a pool session to try out your skills in a boat and pick up new technique. Fully fledged coaches will be on hand to help you along the way. All you need is your normal swimming gear (plus maybe a T-shirt), the cost is £1.50 but don't forget to bring a couple for a drink at the Skyrack afterwards. You'll be able to sign up and join the club there, membership is £30 and covers club kit hire insurance etc. Meet at 8pm onwards at the Parkinson steps (or at a bus stop along the Otley road) to catch the Number 1 to Holt Park.

Likewise TUESDAY, we have another pool session at Holt Park for this week only. The cost is the same however meet at 8.30pm at the Parkinson steps or at whichever other bus stop.

WEDNESDAY is the start of weeknight club trips. It'll be off to the local site of Collingham, price is £5 with coaching and kit hire included. For ideas on what you may need to wear check out the information pages of www.luucc.co.uk
You do have to be a member of the club to come on trips but it's definitely worth joining anyway as you get great value for money - last year alone much new club kit and kayks was/were purchased to modernise the clubs fleet. Info on how to join released at the pool sessions at Holt Park Monday Tuesday.

We also have our socials on WEDNESDAY, be sure to come down and get to know us, we're a friendly bunch it'd be awesome to get to know you too. We're hitting Bourbon which promises to be a top night, for more info on that check out:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2202

THURSDAY is the first week of canoe polo. Confused, think of it as netball in kayaks but rather more impressive, here's a wee taster:
http://pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/kayakin ... 05_JPG.htm
For much more info visit:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2192

SUNDAY finishes of what will be a busy busy week with our second club trip. Likely to be on the river Ure at Slenningford, times and dates will be confirmed on the club forum and when the sign up list goes up. For info on how to get your names down for the trip come along to the pool session for all the answers.

For any more info be sure to visit www.luucc.co.uk for answers, most can be answered by a post on the club message board/forum. Look forward to catching you on the water in the up and coming week,

(essay over) andyx

Last edited by Paul on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
I am Carrick or Paul or Paul's mum

Postby andy j » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:58 am

‘Sup Guys?

Quite a few of you guys have asked where you can get club hoodies from. A very ex ex ex ex etc captain from LUUCC runs a lovely company called Uni-kit who we use for our gear. Grab your personalised club hoodie via the link below:
http://www.uni-kit.co.uk/leeds/canoe/leeds-university-canoe-club-hoody.html

Club Events this week:
Whether you came down last week or are coming along for the first time MONDAY 6th is another of our Holt Park Pool Sessions. 9.30-10.30pm. Catch the Number 1 from after 8 along the Otley Road to top up your skills and techniques.

Morning on TUESDAY sees the awesome Tyne Tour Weekend go up in the Arc. Be sure to check out the other email and the forum to find out why it’s not to be missed!

Lunchtime TUESDAY 7th the sign up list for the weekly Wednesday trip goes up on the club notice board* in the Union at lunchtime. Join as a member at the Monday pool session to be able to come along on Wednesday. A perfect trip for developing your boating and getting more time in a kayak.
NO pool sessions on Tuesdays any longer.

We also have the Sunday trip list going up on WEDNESDAY in the Union on the LUUCC notice board. It is also the Wednesday river trip for anyone signed up on Tuesday.

After what turned out to be a fab night at Fab - Jesus I'm funny, we are going to have another top night out WEDNESDAY evening. The social this week is still under wraps, more info to follow here and to be announced at the pool session. Will definitely be hitting Terrace at 8 sharp for some pre drinks (lash).

Word on the street Canoe Polo is back in da hood this THURSDAY. Basket ball, netball, polo, kayaking? Whatever it is, it's a great discipline for all abilities right from novice. Check out the topic on the forum below for everything you’ve wanted to know about polo and more:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... ght=#21168

We round off another hectic week of LUUCC events with another SUNDAY river trip heading off to another tropical destination of Northern England. At least the bit about it being northern was true anyhow.

Yet another busy busy week, but that’s how we love it.

Catch you on the water,

Andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 am

Afternoon,

Hope everyone had a top weekend, thanks to everyone on the Sunday trip to the Wharfe, it which provided a great day out for everyone.

Personalised club hoodies are still available online through the Uni-Kit website:
http://www.uni-kit.co.uk/leeds/canoe/le ... hoody.html

The TYNE TOUR SIGN UP LIST is upstairs in the Arc*
The list won’t be up forever and we need you guys to get signed up ASAP to get organising transport lists. It’s £35 – “Like OMFG I don’t have any money I can’t afford it - it’s loads” You really can, and after the trip you’ll definitely agree that the trip was worth so much more. It is one of the highlights of the year – It would suck if you missed out then regretted not going.

You can now sign up at Monday pool session if you’re feeling real lazy so come see me (Andy) or Peter H.

*In the front door of the Union, head up the stairs, right after the double doors, to the end of the corridor, left then up the stairs and the Arc is on your right hand side.

There’s another active week planned ahead of us.
Monday
We have another of the weekly pool session at Holt Park Leisure centre near Adel. Although they are still pretty busy at the moment it’s great to see people sticking with the sessions and watching your boating skills come on huge amounts. We’ll be bussing it on the number 1 from 8pm onwards, or see you there at 9pm.

Wednesday
The trip list will be going up for Sundays trip on the LUUCC notice board*. Sadly we DONT have a Wednesday trip however, this week Sunday will be a beginner’s trip. So if you still feel a little shaky in a kayak and want to bring on your boating more before other trips and Tyne Tour, make sure you get signed up on Wednesday.

The weekly social is kicking off again at 8pm in the Terrace. No promises yet that Niamh can actually turn up on time though, but have no fear social sec Martin will be there sharp to save the day. This week is a club favourite heading to Puro for 90’s night - 90p entry, 90p drink and of course music from the 90’s era. Get on the glad rags and come head out for what is always an awesome night at Puro there’s sure to be loads of us out.

Thursday
Last week we had a great start to the polo year. I’m sure everyone will agree the polo veterans had as much of a great time as people who had only just learnt to kayak! If you like the sound but are still a bit hesitant check out Matt H’s guide to why you should make it a date in your diary:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... ght=#21168
Meet up at the Chapel at 8.50pm.

Sunday
We have again our weekly river trip. This week will be focusing on BEGINNERS AND CORE RIVER & PADDLING SKILLS. It’ll be a great chance to spend some more time in a kayak bringing on you technique. Meeting you guys on the list at 9am at the Chapel.

There’s plenty to be getting your teeth into so I’ll catch you there,

andyx

There may be several, despite my best attempts, but apologies for the one deliberate spelling mistakes, I couldn't help myself.
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 am

How do? Have a good weekend?

Thanks to all of you guys who have signed up for Tyne Tour, its looming closer, now just over 2 weeks away. If you still need to get signed up, THIS IS THE LAST WEEK THE LIST WILL BE UP in the ARC*. Alternately get signed up at Mondays pool session. Particularly the guys who were members last year, who still haven’t signed up, go and do it. There wont be any sympathy or letting in when you come begging to get signed up after we have closed the list.

Keep your eye out on the Admiral Chat section on the forum and your emails for info on how you can get your hands on the LUUCC 2008 Tyne Tour T-shirt.

Monday
Is again the weekly pool session at Holt Park Leisure centre near Adel. It’s great to see you guys attending the pool sessions and trips really come on leaps and bounds. We’ll be catching the number 1 from 8pm onwards, or see you there at 9pm.

Wednesday
This Wednesday we are having a Club Freestyle trip to Holme Pierrepont in Nottingham. The only requirement the course managers have is that you can roll. There will be people from the club on hand to give you tips on advice on one of the sports best disciplines. So regardless if you have or not ever tried freestyle before check out the forum for more info:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2291

We also have the trip list going up on the club notice board. As the Wenesday trip is intermediate this week we will be having another BEGINNERS TRIP this week to the Burrs. Great way to get used to handling a kayak on moving water.

Alas, I was not there but I hear that last weeks social was pretty huge. This week we have another gem planned but have no fear it’s not going to be as messy. We’ll be meeting again in Terrace at 8pm the heading down to the city later on for a social with a difference. We’re hitting Jongleurs for some hilarious roller disco action. Last year was class and I imagine this year will be much the same – and it’s not just for the girls, lads get your act together and get down there!

Thursday
Again a great night was had on Thursday at Polo. Congratulations to Matina who got the award of Polo player of the week, she won some marker pens and some antiseptic ointment. Jealous? Then meet us at the Chapel at 8.50pm before we head down to Armley pool for some wet fun with balls.

Sunday
We’re hitting the Burrs for a BEGINNERS AND CORE RIVER & PADDLING SKILLS. It’ll be a great chance to spend some more time in a kayak on moving water especially if you didn’t make last Sundays trip. Meeting you guys who are signed up at 9am outside the Chapel.

Loads more going on this week. Catch you on the water,

andyx

*In the front door of the Union, head up the stairs, right after the double doors, to the end of the corridor, left then up the stairs and the Arc is on your right hand side.
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 am

Hi fair people

-Tyne Tour 2008 is under 2 weeks away now, the sign up list has been taken down I am afraid if you haven’t already signed up. However, as me and Peter are such nice people we will give you one last chance to sign up.

The last chance you have to pay for one of the highlights of the year is THE CLUB POOL SESSION & SKYRACK TONIGHT. This is the final opportunity so if you haven’t already signed up and paid then make sure you come along tonight and find Peter H to pay. We will also be revealing how you can get your LUUCC 2008 Tyne Tour T-shirt tonight at the pool.

If you have already signed up and have any special dietary requirements (veggie, vegan, wheat intolerance etc.) that prevents you eating a bacon sarnie, please let us know by posting on the topic in the forum here:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2328

***Discounted Reed kayaking gear for LUUCC paddlers***
For those of you who have checked out the forum (if you still haven’t/don’t then get on it) you will know that today is the last day to order any gear from the Reed ChillCheater range at the discount of 20% - this is only open to LUUCC paddlers. They make awesome thermals that would arrive in time for Tyne Tour, check out the thread below for reviews of different items from the Reed range and to book your gear in.
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2301

Monday
Get in a boat at the weekly pool session at Holt Park Leisure centre near Adel tonight. If you have skills you want to learn and develop before Tyne Tour then make sure you come along. We’ll be catching the number 1 from 8pm onwards, or see you there at 9pm. THIS POOL SESSION IS THE LAST NIGHT TO SIGN UP FOR TYNE TOUR.

Wednesday
As the clocks have gone back I’m afraid we do not have enough daylight for club Wednesday trips. There will be some more informal trips going on which will be announced on the club forum.

The sign up list will also be going up in the Union for the Sunday trip. As yesterday it was far to epic to paddle (it’s normally a trickle!) we are again hoping to paddle the Burrs but as you have found this may change. What is guaranteed though, is that it will be aimed at new guys who are looking to bring on their skills handling a kayak on moving water. Bear in mind that this is the last trip before Tyne Tour. I’ll try and get a couple of cars going as well to get as many of the reserves on the trip – this week all were found places.

The infamous club social!
This week we are keeping it real and hitting Bad Robot at the Union after meeting at Terrace at 8pm. It’s a night of awesome dance, indie and some token electro thrown in. Even if this doesn’t sound like your kettle of fish, trust me it will be! Come along for an awesome night of beats, dancing (hopefully Jon Fuller KOTW will make an appearance) and cheap drinks. Definitely going to be a night not to miss out on. Details on how to get a ticket will be announced at the pool session and subsequently posted up on the forum.

Thursday
Polo is going strength to strength on a Thursday night.
“But I’m not good at kayaking and I can’t catch a ball so I can’t play?!?!”
Stop talking cobbles! We have plenty of games ever week for people who are new to both boating and polo. Come along it is an awesome way to develop your kayaking without realising!
Meet at the Chapel at 8.50pm before we head down to Armley pool – there are plenty of spaces in car available.

Sunday
We’re hitting the Burrs for a BEGINNERS AND CORE RIVER & PADDLING SKILLS. It’ll be a great chance to spend some more time in a kayak on moving water especially if you didn’t make last Sundays trip. It is the last trip before Tyne Tour so make sure you get singed up on Wednesday. Meet you guys who are signed up at 9am outside the Chapel.

Don’t miss out on Tyne Tour, catch you this week,

andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Apologies for the late email… Have a good weekend all?

Monday –
We’re going to kick this week off with a Club Meeting – any issues, updates improvements or ideas are going to be raised and discussed with the committee present. It’s going to be at 7pm in Meeting room 4 in the Union. This is upstairs by the ARC reception, drop me an email or text if you are unsure about where it is. It is YOU we want to come along.

Attendance from members is normally pretty poor. It is YOUR club, and it is likely you will be running for committee positions next February no matter how far fetched it may seem now. I want as many people there to come along and chip in to how LUUCC works and operates. We are heading to the pool session afterwards so you have no excuse!

The infamous LUUCC Pool session. You guys new to the club are coming along leaps and bounds – trust me even if you don’t think you are! It has calmed down a bit lately so members are getting longer in a boat which is cool. For those who want to step it up a gear, be sure to get a coach to go through rolling with you at tonight’s session. See you at Holt Park at 9pm, catch the number 1 up there. It’s behind the ASDA at the end of the line.

Wednesday -
To be honest, I think we are going to see the fireworks as a club, but Niamh and Martin haven’t told me what we are doing so I don’t really know, they’ll probably hit the forum with whatever is going on and/or announce it at the pool session.

However, what I do know is that we are having the first LUUCC house party of the year! Matt H who you guys know as Polo Sec has invited us around after the fireworks for a night that is definitely going to be a laugh. Details to go up on www.luucc.co.uk message board Admiral Chat section very soon.

Thursday -
ANYONE GOING TO TYNE TOUR you MUST check out this link:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2363
You need to drop off ALL bags, tents, sleeping bags, paddling kit, clothes etc. from 7.30pm-9pm at the Chapel. We don’t have room on the minibuses.

We only have 2 vans for all the kayaks, paddles, kit and all your bags. Space is limited so pack light, it is only for 2 nights. Check out that link, the medium sheep torso rule will be enforced rigorously, and you will have to take stuff out. However, make sure you bring enough warm jumpers and thermals as it DOES get cold.

This all means YOU CAN ALL COME POLO as you will be at the Chapel and we leave at 9pm.
“But I’m shit at paddling and I can’t catch”
First of all you aren’t shit and you can definitely catch. Me and Matt can’t stress enough how much LUUCC Polo is designed for people new to the sport, we have games specifically for those who haven’t played before. There are loads of people there to explain the few basic rules. It is great fun, gets you fit and really helps develop your paddling hugely. And it’s only £2.50. See you at the Chapel then we’ll drive up in cars (we’ll find everyone a space) to Armley pool.

FRIDAY SATURDAY & SUNDAY
Sadly there is no Sunday trip but if I am being honest I couldn’t care less as it’s…

TYNE TOURRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
The transport list is up here:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... 55&start=0
Make sure you are OK for the transport you have been allocated.

It is going to be a giggle. Many of you are a bit bewildered about the arrangements, basically check out which transport you are on, we’ll drive up then when there you will set up your tents (bring a torch).

Friday Night – we go as a club to the Wetherspoons in town then on to the only club there called Donnies/Studio. It is a great night out as we dominate both venues.
Saturday Night – we walk go to a nearby sports hall for a massive Ceilidh which is a Scottish Dance. Sounds a bit weird, but trust me you’ll have a blast.
Paddling – You will paddle either Saturday or Sunday, the list of which day will be put up around the LUUCC camp on Friday night.
Sunday Evening – we drive back, time dependant on how long it takes for everyone to pack.

If you have any questions post them up on the forum or grab hold of a member and don’t let them go until you know everything you need to.

Should be a bit of a good week I think,
andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:41 am

Hey, how are you recovering from the weekend?

Apologies for the late email. I’m going to start off this week with some more chat about Tyne Tour so if you’re sick to death of all this talk of drunk boaters in Hexham feel free to skip down the page to the normal club email.

Tyne Tour 2008
Leeds you were awesome! You did us proud in completely out numbering and out chanting all of the other unis in attendance. I hope you guys got as much out the weekend, meeting new people and having a general ball as I did.

I’d like to thank everyone who came along and had a great weekend. Everyone who came along and just had a top time and everyone who did even the most menial of tasks when delegated to them. Without you, Tyne Tour couldn’t have run so well.

Paul has hundreds of photos online here:
http://wordpress.pwilkinson.net/2008/11/tyne-tour-2008/
Check out your favourite photos from the weekend and post them up on the photo topic:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2408

Apologies again to anyone who didn’t get to paddle on the Sunday of Tyne Tour. However, given the conditions it was the right decision to make, thanks for all your help and co-operation. If you didn’t get to paddle on Sunday and were due to -excluding the people with their own boats, and you want to get on this weeks Sunday trip drop me an email to thecaptain@luucc.co.uk and I’ll make sure you get on it. I’ll reply in confirmation, please include your full name, student ID and mobile number.

If you can’t get enough of LUUCC weekends away have no fear as we have some more massive trips coming up.
LUUCC Lake District weekend – The weekend after exams in January.
National Student Rodeo – 7th-9th March, over 1000 students attend a weekend organised by LUUCC. Imagine Tyne Tour but a gazillion times more fun.
LUUCC Alps trip – June 2009 a smaller club trip to France.

Club email

Tuesday
We are mixing it up this week and having the club SOCIAL tonight. We are going to have a CHOCOLATE social, whether you are an open chocoholic or not make sure you are there. It kicks off at 8.30pm at HYPE PARK SOCIAL CLUB. If you are unsure of where it is check out the forum at www.luucc.co.uk for a topic with directions in. Bring your own chocolate for what will be a fun night.
Niamh and Martin x

Wednesday
There obviously is no social but the Sunday trip list I going up on the club notice board upstairs in the Union. If you go up the stairs by the front door of the union, turn right through the double doors and the notice board is on the right hand side. We will be having a club trip this week for all abilities so don’t worry if you don’t have much experience.

If you are a club member who is looking to push yourself on white water have no fear as we will be having some intermediate trips coming up in the very near future.

Thursday
Do you love kayaking? Do you love getting wet? Do you love balls?
If you answered yes to any of those questions then I expect you to come to polo on Thursday night at 8.45pm at the Chapel. I hear loads of you guys out there saying you aren’t good enough for polo – I can’t stress enough how much crap that is. If you can move forward and turn (which everyone can), then it is for you. It is a great way to get more time in a kayak and bring on your skills while have great fun. We have plenty of games each week especially for people new to the game.

Sunday
Club river trip, get your name signed up on Wednesday, drop me an email to thecaptain@luucc.co.uk if you were due to paddle using club kit on Sunday at Tyne Tour and didn’t manage to, I’ll make sure you get on this weeks trip.

Catch you about this week, once I’ve caught up on some sleep,
Andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:26 pm

This week kicked off with a pretty chilled out but constructive pool session…

So it’s time to go a bit mental as it’s been a while since Tyne Tour…

WEDNESDAY OTLEY RUN!

We wanted to mix up the typical crap Otley Run themes a bit so LUUCC are going as A PACK OF CARDS. All you’ll need is (que BluePeter voice) a large piece of cardboard front and back decorated with your chosen/allocated card.

For this you need to DROP ME A TEXT OR CALL (Niamh) 07846108055 and I’ll let you know ASAP.
Spaces for a standard pack ARE RUNING OUT! So get in on the act soon.

Be prepared to form poker hands, flops (some people do this in beds/tents anyway), suits, runs and anything else card related at each bar. I suspect a pretty LARGE amount of rivalry between suits to be built up!

EVERYONE is meeting at 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm 5pm that’s 5pm in Woodies Ale House at the start of the run. It is going to be a hilarious night, lets see if we can make it to the end.

I’m also curious to see if anyone is going to lower the standards and come with what can only be described as “adult playing cards” designs.

Good luck getting into the pubs!

See you then, Martin and Niamh xx

THURSDAY We <3 Polo.

Congratulations to Katy S last week for coming along and getting stuck in, for her trials she had a bloody good time and was awarded the title of Polo Player Of The Week. A roll of Scotch Tape and a HB pencil was handed over in recognition of this award. I’m assuming she’ll be using this for her Otley Run outfit.

Come on down to the Chapel at 8.45pm and stop using the excuse that your shit at kayaking, as you aren’t, and even if you were it is a great way to have a laugh and improve without even realising!

The Right Honourable Matthew Haydock x

Sunday

I’m afraid there is not typical LUUCC weekend river trip. This is due to the fact that the club is taking part in the British University Student White Water Racing Competition up at the River Washburn the other side of Harrogate. More details of this will go up on the forum.

If you are interested in going up one of the days to see what it is all about (it’s only about 20/25 mins away, directions can be given), you are more then welcome to come along and spur on the guys competing if there are any car spaces/you find someone to bring one. Good luck to everyone competing!

I shall catch you guys on Wednesday stumbling our way through Headingley. Also I want to see as many new guys as possible at polo this week – it really is worth trying once at least!

andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Good evening,

Firstly there’s few bits of cool LUUCC news to start the week with,
-Congratulations to everyone who took part in BUSA white water racing last weekend. There were some impressive times practically for people new to the event. But also what was more impressive was the awesome attitude and determination shown by all especially at the times it may have been going tits up!
-After a long and luckily wet weekend in north Wales 2 out of the 9 places on the British University Kayak Expedition were taken up by Leeds paddlers. Luke Farrington (team leader) and Andy J will be heading out to south Asia next summer for the 6 week trip.
-Details for the LUUCC CHRISTMAS MEAL are out! Visit the link below for details on the night. Trust me it’ll be hilarious. Get your Children’s Literature outfits sorted, the possibilities are endless… http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2467

Monday
We have another of the weekly pool session at Holt Park Leisure centre near Adel. The sessions have quietened loads meaning it’s likely you’ll get longer in a boat which is sweet. Bus it up on the number 1, session starts as usual at 9pm.

Wednesday
The trip list will be going up for Sundays trip on the LUUCC notice board, check below for details on that one.

The weekly social is kicking off again at 8pm in the Terrace. We’ll be heading on down into town to throw some shapes down at HIFI. For anyone who hasn’t been there it’s an awesome small club and I think I’m right in saying Wednesdays are funk and soul nights – Niamh and Martin will let you know more at the pool session. Get on your dancing shoes and bring them along on Wednesday to terrace.
MORE HUGEEEEE SOCIAL NEWS FOR SATURDAY BELOW

Thursday
Nice one to our new PPOTW Tom Britt for his commitment to polo from the start of term. It’s cool to see it paying off with his polo and boating coming along hugely because of it. If you want to be in with a chance of winning anything from pencils to men’s deodorant be sure to come along and have some fun with balls in a swimming pool. Meet up at the Chapel at 8.50pm and then we’ll head off to Armley pool.

Saturday
ONE OF LUUCC’S BIGGEST SOCIALS IN YEARS!
29th November is the night the kayaking world has been waiting for; The Grand Premier Showing of the longly anticipated Means of Production, a white water DVD created by LUUCC’s very own Max Bilbow.

Guys from York, Leeds Met, Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle Uni are all coming down.

The black tie reception starts at 7pm in the terrace, we have our own area cordoned off with cheaper wine and beer and we may even have a red carpet!!!

The DVD will commense at 8pm, check out the forum for the location. Champagne, nibble and orange juice will all be provided. Check out this link http://www.mopmovie.co.uk/ which includes the DVD's trailer and info on creating the DVD by Max Bilbow.

Tickets are just £3 IF YOU BUY THEM NOW (£3.50 on the day) which includes entrance into the our booked area of a secret location in town for the after party. This is an amazing price for entrance into a club on a Saturday night and the money's going towards the charity Soft power education- for more information check out: http://www.softpowereducation.com/.

ALREADY 100 tickets have been sold, if you still need to buy yours, Niamh and I will have them at all the socials, polo and pool sessions until the event. GET THEM SOON.

If you're not already a member join the facebook group:http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/event.php?eid=33071220498&ref=ts

Martin (07983 403165) and Niamh(07846108055)x

Sunday
It is likely we are going to be hitting the water with some of the other Unis that attend the MoP night. We’ll be having a more technical intermediate trip this week to THE UPPER TEES. We’ll be having a look at different river running techniques and safety on the river. Anyone coming is highly advised to have some white water experience due to the nature of the river but THIS ISN’T to put people off, come have a chat with me or any of the other members on Monday to get more info on the trip.

If you make sure you come along to one thing this week, get your ass down to the MoP on Saturday, it’s going to be HUGE! Plus you get the chance to see Luke Farrington in a dinner jacket, I hear is something to be seen…

andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 pm

2008 has been a pleasure guys,

We have some thrills,
Leeds outnumbering every group at every boating event we went to
Merriman winning men’s (should it not be boys) novice at the NSR.
Loads of people pushing their boundaries on white water
The infamous Burrs Weir

We’ve had some spills,
Paul Wilkinson - the AGM was it? Nick G has the photographic proof
Merriman swimming…a lot
Loosing something at every boating weekend
`Our lovely secretary breaking 2 boats tut tut tut…

But most of all we’ve had some absolute laughs,
And of those there are too many to mention.

We have the Christmas meal to see it out. Let’s hope your Children’s literature outfits are coming along a treat.

If you can’t make that then be sure to come along to polo on Thursday to catch up with everyone before the hols. Chapel at 8.45pm as usual.

See you in the Library at 7.30 SHARP – even Niamh is going to be on time to the Christmas meal!

If not, have a good’ne and remember to leave out those carrots for the reindeers and a mince pie for Santa,

andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Happy new yada yada yada…

So, for most people it’s exams, gutteddd – take the smug looks off you faces postgrads please…

However, if you can grin and bear 2 weeks of late nights in the Edward Boyle, stress and nerves there is TONNES of LUUCC stuff coming up this semester that promises to be nothing short of AMAZING.

There’s no point me yacking on, below is THE DEFINIIVE LIST TO HAVE for LUUCC up to easter…….

JANUARY
6th – Sign up list for LAKES WEEKEND goes up on the club notice board on the Union.

12th- Sports Ball tickets on sale in the ARC reception in the Union. Only 280 tickets so get in early! More info below…

23rd-25th LUUCC LAKE DISTRICT WEEKEND
Alas, exams shall be finished and the nights drawing marginally longer… That is more than enough reason to drive up north for some quality boating and quality banter. Think similar kind of atmosphere to Tyne Tour, but we stay in a hut so it isn’t as cold. Being just an LUUCC weekend it is an awesome weekend getting to know loads of people you may have no over the last few months. It is always filled with huge amounts of laughs and fond memories DON’T MISS OUT – LIMITED NUMBERS! It is THE BEST way to celebrate an end to exams - FACT!

Photos: http://pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/both/lakes08/
LOADS MORE INFO HERE: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2533
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2525

26th- Monday Holt Park Pool Sessions begin. 9-10.30pm as usual.

29th- Thursday night polo sessions start. Meet at the Chapel at 8.45pm.
------------------------------------

FEBRUARY
7th- Sports Ball, for not the first time this year, get out your black tie attire for what is a formal but unmissable night! Although it isn’t the cheapest of nights it will promise to be a quality night out. New for 2009 – moved from the Royal Armouries to an undisclosed location…
More info here: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2522
Photos: http://pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/drinkin ... /index.htm

10th – Tuesday 10th is LUUCC ANNUL GENERAL MEETING
Are you a member of LUUCC?
Have you enjoyed your time as part of the club?
If yes then you should consider the AGM as a great way to put back into the club by going for a committee position. Although daunting you don’t need to know anything about kayaking for many of the positions or have any previous similar experience. Come have a chat to me or anyone with a position at the moment even if your are slightly curious. THE CLUB NEEDS YOU!

The AGM will be held during a meal where much food, banter and beer shall be consumed before hitting town. In typical LUUCC style a MASSIVE NIGHT of throwing down shapes shall be dictated by the new social secs.

More info: http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... 4569#24569
Photos: http://pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/drinkin ... m20022008/

MARCH
6th-8th NATIONAL STUDENT RODEO
The weekend which defines why YOU should be proud to be part of THE BIGGEST & BEST uni kayaking club in the UK! So how can we as LUUCC celebrate this?

By organising THE BIGGEST & BEST freestyle kayaking competition IN THE WORLD!!!!! Weekends like this are the reason why it is awesome to be a student. Around 1000 people come together to compete, socialise and PARTY HARD at our event held in Nottingham.

All you need to know is that it is open to everyone ESPECIALLY those new to kayaking (Last year the novices won, kayaks, paddles, clothing, dry suits, spray decks, Bas… loads more than the experts). TONNES MORE info will be rammed down your throats as the date approaches by us but I recommend checking out the links below to gauge the huge scale of the weekend:

Photos: http://pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/both/nsr2008/index.htm
Canoe Kayak Review: http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... p?item=172
Website: http://www.nationalstudentrodeo.org.uk/ ... ?page=main

CANNOT WAIT!
A great way to kick off 2009-01-05

andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am

Alright mate...

Wondered if you were about for the Lakes weekend- It's the 23rd-25th?
Get your name up (or someone else to do it) on the club notice board before it goes down at the end of this week. It is going to be a huge laugh and there will be some good boating for everyone and all levels as there is rain about.

Also the Sports Ball tickets go on sale today and as usual we'll be there in mass as usual.

Think Paul is looking for help with NSR related stuff too - I think he's stuck all the tasks so far up on the forum.

In a bizzz, andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Snow Boating anyone?
The LAST full week of the 08/09 committee jazz – lets see what has been a PHAT year out in style. Check out the massive SOCIAL events going on and get signed up pronto!

Monday 2nd – Pool session.
Holt Park 9-10.30pm. You guys know the deal. We don’t have many pool sessions left as sadly they end after easter. If you are still in search of that illusive roll be sure to come down.

Wednesday 4th –
MASSIVE SOCIAL to see out Martin and Niamhs reign of socials. We are going to have a NATIONAL STUDENT RODEO 2009 PREVIEW NIGHT!!!
Anyone who is/wants to attend NSR please please please come down. We are going to be watching last years NSR MOVIE FOR FREE, letting you know more about the event, recruiting for people to help out and of course enjoying a few drinks in the Union.

Check out the forum where Sabina will confirm what time everyone is meeting in Terrace.

Need we say any more? OK
We’ll be hitting Fav for some JagerBomb carnage afterwards which will no doubt end up awesome if not maybe tad messy. If you haven’t ever been to Fav on a Wednesday make sure you get involved – it’s one of the best student nights in Leeds.

Thursday 6th –
Marco? POLO!
As tragic as it may sound, this Thursday is indeed the last of Matt H’s polo sessions. We’ll be having a load of games and mixing it up this week compared to previous sessions. Would be great to get as may people as possible together for what is going to be a right old giraffe. Catch you guys at the Chapel at 8.45pm.

Saturday 7th-
Sports Ball, so be ready to fix up look sharp. This Monday is the last chance to get your tickets from the ARC reception. If you have already got a ticket keep an eye on the forum for where everyone will be meeting before hand.

Sunday 8th-
LUUCC Club Trip – kayak surfing.
A LUUCC tradition of surf the day after the sports ball!
As it is a heavy night on Saturday there will be no official transport; a chance for drivers to get a Sunday lie in. Instead you’ll need to sort yourself an informal lift here (more information about the trip there too):
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... 6221#26221
Magic seaweed (surf website) is predicting some 3 star surf – radddd!

Monday 9th – Final Andy J Pool Session

Tuesday 10th is LUUCC AGM – PLANS FINALISED!
7 SPICES BALTI HOUSE will be the privileged site of the 2009/20 LUUCC elections.
Buffet - STARTERS, mains, RICE and naan.
Bring YOUR OWN drinks – Cobra on tap available.
Kicking off at 7.20pm SHARP.
Niamh even promises she’ll turn up on time or serve everyone’s meals on roller-skates if not!

Price is a STEAL at £8, get your TICKETS at this weeks POOL SESSION – SOCIAL or POLO!!!
Looking forward to seeing where the new social secs take us to boogie afterward
Any questions – drop me a message, Martin x

Nominations for committee positions on the club notice board now!

MARCH
6th-8th NSR
2008 NSR MOVIE SCREENING this WEDNESDAY!

LUUCC places are running out fast!

Hundreds of other students from as far away as Aberdeen have already signed & paid!
Don’t miss out on THE biggest party weekend of the year. Oh, and maybe some boating too.

Even if you haven’t done the most kayaking lately, get your name up on the club notice board NOW! Time IS running out!

WE HAVE to be he biggest Uni in attendance!

2008:
Photos: http://pwilkinson.net/uniphotos/both/nsr2008/index.htm
Canoe Kayak Review: http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... p?item=172
Website: http://www.nationalstudentrodeo.org.uk/ ... ?page=main

Frankie says relax,
Andy says get signed up for NSR

andyx
andy j

Postby andy j » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:02 am

355 days
32 club emails later
And it’s a final few words from me…

Just a short one this week,

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

TUESDAYS SOCIAL…
AGM, if you aren’t booked up now your either a)too late b)not bothered or c)going to cause Niamh a nervous breakdown when you ask her if she can save you a ticket.

Apparently it’s out with the old (since when was 19 old I ask?!?!?) and in with the new as the new committee shall be voted in. A merry night which will no doubt end up with a comedy (for a few right and many wrong reasons) night down in town.

OTHER EVENTS…
-Polo shall be running as the usual meet 8.45pm at the Chapel however, this time presented by our lovely new polo sec.
-The Sunday river trip too shall be announced on Wednesday on the club notice board and forum by the new Captain.
-IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED UP FOR NSR – get in touch asap so I can get you on the database. Southampton are catching us on numbers and we cant have that!
-After next Mondays pool session there will be a few guys heading down into Wire to some minimal and techno beats:
http://luucc.liquidsatisfaction.com/for ... php?t=2686
This doesn’t replace the LUUCC social, there still will be plenty of shenanigans planned midweek to be announced by the new social secs. But, if you are up for a bit of a change of scenery come join in.

And on a finishing note for anyone not at the AGM...
I would like to thank you guys for what has been an awesome (I know I’ve used that word way too much in club emails) year as captain. Watching the club bring through a tonne of paddlers from scratch and more importantly meeting some top new friends has been so much fun.

Hope the club emails weren’t a drag (especially to those guys I know are out there still singed up and observing from a far) – and you weren’t too confused when “Alright Mate?” landed in your inbox one Monday morning :p

Over and out,

andyx
andy j

Return to Announcements